The Science of Sex: Six Statistics To Enhance Your Love Life


Sometimes, science transcends romance.

People searching for advice for love can always benefit from a little science. In fact, statistics are some of the most objective and insightful ways to preview both the psyche of the opposite sex, and the direction dating trends are headed. They offer advice for love that is actual and useful. Remembering it when you're in a relationship just might assure you stay in one.

1. The Google Factor

In the good old days (i.e., the 1990's), if people wanted to find out information about their date, they had to do one of three things: ask around, hire an investigator, or (gasp!) ask their date themselves. Nowadays, the internet has removed much of the first date mystery.

Of course, the internet doesn't just tell people about their dates— they have to seek out the information—and seek out they do. Studies suggest that 43 percent of people Google their first dates before they meet them. While the numbers are slightly higher in women, men get down with Google as well.

But why do people do this? Sometimes it's boredom, and other times it's mere curiosity, but often it has to do with self-preservation. People want to know of any red flags their date may be waving. It might seem a bit illogical—very few serial killers have websites advertising themselves as so — but, when the internet fails to return any reports of imprisonment or sex offending, it makes people feel safer nonetheless.

2. The New Normal

For people who are looking for advice on love, they may want to look outside their race: interracial marriage is becoming the new normal. In a true attestation to love being blind, more and more people are dating and marrying based on factors that have nothing to do with the color of a person's skin or their country of origin. It has a ways to go to fully catch up with the numbers of people who marry within their race. As of 2010, 15 percent of new marriages were interracial (a number that will go up as time progresses), but people, at least, have opened their minds to the idea.

A Gallup Poll found that 87 percent of people favor interracial marriages. While this may make you wonder what's wrong with the remaining 13 percent, the amount of progress speaks volumes: in 1958, a mere 4 percent held interracial marriages in a favorable light.

3.  Men Fall In Love Faster

In television and romance novels, women are usually the ones painted as wanting to move things along quickly. They begin planning their wedding in the middle of their first date. However, studies actually contest this depiction: men tend to fall in love sooner, sometimes a lot sooner.

One study found that men, on average, know that they've fallen for someone in as little as three dates. Women, conversely, don't know how they really feel until around date 14. Date fourteen is also around the time when men and women most often exchange keys to each other's homes or apartments.

4.  Tradition No Longer Rules

Much advice for love, at least when it is directed towards the male gender, directs people to look towards tradition. This tradition often dictates that men be the ones to take the initiative in many romantic aspects, particularly when it comes to the very first date.

But these cultural norms — like so many cultural norms —appear to be outdated. A Match.com survey found that most men aren't put off by women who make the first move: 91 percent using the site for internet dating said they were comfortable being asked out by their female counterparts.

5.  Let Freedom Ring

When advice for love is directed towards women, it often concentrates on the men's innate need for independence: women are painted as Great Britain while men are painted as the Founding Fathers in 1776 Colonial America. Yet, it appears that this may be in error.

When surveyed, women are actually the ones more likely to say they need independence in a relationship. As much as 93 percent of women say that personal space is extremely important to them, while only 81 percent of men report the same. Women are also more likely to want independent finances: 77 percent of women desire their own bank accounts, compared to 63 percent of men.

6. Breaking Up Online is Easy to Do

Dating online has a myriad of benefits, many of which we have previously discussed. But, there is one major drawback: if you date online, you have a better chance of breaking up online. Per a survey of Match.com Singles, 48 percent breakup with their partner over email.

Yes, the internet giveth, and the internet taketh away.

To get more advice for love, click here.