Dating Lessons Inspired By An Old Joke
There's a good joke about a man who is stuck in a flood and keeps waiting for God to save him. I found a version of it here:
The river is overflowing, and the dam is breaking, and an old man is sitting on the porch of his house watching the water rise. He is singing hymns. Along come some members of the national guard in a 4-wheel drive truck. The stop when they see the man. "Come on!" they yell. "The dam is going to break and you will drown.""Nope," answered the man. I am praying to God and God will provide for me.
The water keeps rising and soon the man is sitting on the porch railing. Along come some more national guardsmen in a motor boat. "Come on!" they yell. "The dam is breaking and all of this is going to be washed away." "Nope," answered the man. I am praying to God and God will provide for me.
The water keeps rising and soon the man is sitting on the roof. A helicopter flies over, stops, and comes back and hovers over him. It lowers a ladder. "Come on!" yells someone from the helicopter. "The dam broke and a wall of water is coming this way!""Nope," answered the man. I am praying to God and God will provide for me.
Well, the water rolled over the house and the man was swept away and drowned. He soon found himself standing before the Pearly Gates. He asked to see God and was conducted into His presence.
"God," the man said, "I don't understand. I prayed to you and prayed to you and still you let me drown."
"I LET YOU DROWN?" thundered the voice of God. "MY CHILD, I SENT YOU A CAR, A BOAT, AND A HELICOPTER AND EACH TIME YOU TURNED THEM AWAY. WHAT ELSE DID YOU WANT ME TO DO FOR YOU?"
This man was waiting for God but he was not open to his many disguises nor was he ready to act on opportunities that were presented as beneficial for him. Here are some dating lessons you can learn from this cosmic joke:
1. See the Divine in Everyone and Everything- This man rejecting boaters, pilots and drivers in order to wait for God in one specific form. What if you overlooked your soulmate because he was an inch too short, Asian or Christian? Think twice about this next time and decide if you at least want to give them one date.
2. Question Your Beliefs and Your Dating Type, It May Be Stopping You- This man was attached to how he's be saved, so he overlooked God's many forms. How do your beliefs about your perfect partner allow you to overlook the wonderful person before you?
3. If You're Always Saying 'No' and Rejecting People, Think Again-This man refused help over and over. How many times do you reject people when your dating and for what reasons? Have you thought this through or is it just automatic and based on pre-conceived notions? You may be rejecting just the partner you most need.
4. Are You Waiting to Be Saved By Some Perfect Being and Overlooking Ordinary Possibilities? This man did not realize that divine beauty is within every human being and living thing. In dating, people wait for a prince on a white course or a fancy car or motorcycle to come save them. They overlook the neighbor who takes the bus, has a crush on them and would be a fantastic husband, friend and father.
5. Are you Hiding from Life and Living in Another World? This man chose to hide on the porch instead of venturing out into the world and making a change to save himself. One gets the feeling that it was his attachment to his beliefs and predicted circumstances that killed him! With dating, many singles hide out at home reading romance novels, praying, daydreaming and watching soap operas, hoping to meet the One. They don't take the initiative to save their own dating life by meeting many prospects and seeing who fits.
I hope that you take this story to heart and start letting love into your life today, in ordinary ways.
My Best in Love,
Dr. Paulette Sherman is a psychologist, author and dating expert featured in numerous publications like Glamour, Readers Digest and the NY Times. Learn more at: