New Details Released In The Brutal Murder Of 20-Year-Old Pitt Student Alina Sheykhet — And How She Knew The Man Arrested For The Crime

Photo: TribLive
Alina Sheykhet

Police just arrested a man ... and he's someone she knew very well.

On Sunday, October 8th, Alina Sheykhet, a 20-year-old student at the University of Pittsburgh, did what many girls do when their ex-boyfriends start calling — she didn't answer. 

Matthew Darby, 21, called Sheykhet's phone five times in the pre-dawn hours that morning — twice within just 15 seconds around 4:15 a.m.

He then used a commercial car service to drive him from Duquesne University to his ex-girlfriend's home in Pittsburgh. Darby told the driver to wait 10 minutes and got out of the car and began walking.

He returned and ask the driver to wait 10 more minutes. And then called the driver and asked in a whispered voice if he could wait for 10 more. 

But the driver gave up and left. 

RELATED: Suspicious New Details About The 3-Year-Old Girl Who Went Missing After Her Dad Made Her Stand Outside Alone At 3AM As Punishment

Darby called Sheykhet's phone again, three more times between 4:54 and 4:55 a.m. 

According to police, once inside the home, he killed Alina Sheykhet with a claw hammer and two knives. 

She was found dead that same morning when her father broke down her door after she failed to answer his calls. He was picking her up to attend a breast cancer awareness walk. 

According to the autopsy, Sheykhet died of head trauma. Her skull was fractured in two places, her nose was broken, she'd been stabbed in the mouth and she lost seven teeth during the attack. 

RELATED: Horrifying Details About The Teen Who Shot A 14-Year-Old Girl And Left Her For Dead Because He Didn't Like Her Snapchat Posts

Last month, Sheykhet has filed for protection from abuse (PFA) against Darby after he climbed the gutter of her home and broken in through the second-floor window. 

"He did this because I left him and stopped answering his phone calls," she wrote in her PFA filing. 

Darby was arrested after he was found in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina on Wednesday. He was charged with criminal homicide.

He also plead not guilty to additional charges that he raped another ex-girlfriend earlier this year. 

"He didn't treat her right," said Curtis Hanner, who was Sheykhet's manager when she worked at a mall. "He cheated on her a couple of times and was really controlling and called her at work when he shouldn't have. Sometimes she picked up, but she would instantly hang up or I picked up and I instantly hung up."

RELATED: Awful Details About The Stay-At-Home Dad Who Drowned His 17-Month-Old Daughter To Get Revenge On His Wife For Divorcing Him​

Emily Blackwood is an editor at YourTango who covers pop culture, true crime, dating, relationships and everything in between. Every Wednesday at 10:20 p.m. you can ask her any and all questions about self-love, dating, and relationships LIVE on YourTango’s Facebook page. You can follow her on Instagram (@blackw00d) and Twitter (@emztweetz).