It's sometimes difficult to find the right words to express how you feel in a world where so much has already been said. Yet somehow, people find new romantic words to describe their emotions every day, but sometimes what you really need is a short love quote that sums up those deep thoughts you couldn't quite bring yourself to speak of out loud.
The human experience is impossible to replicate, and thus, love quotes that make us feel something other than alone are the ones to hold on to. John Green once said, “Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.” And maybe he's right.
There are many theories on soulmates. My personal favorite is that there is one person for you in the world who is your 100%. Throughout life, you will meet 70's and 80's. If you're lucky, you might end up with someone in the 90's. And that's good enough.
But there are a lot of people who are much less cynical than I who believe in people being connected by "the red string of fate". They believe that life contains some magic that leads you exactly to who you’re meant to be with. It's a hopeful perspective and one that I want to be true, but we can never be sure. The way people talk about the ones they love makes me feel as though it might be.
Maybe movies have gotten to my head; poets and songwriters have painted too pretty a picture of the world, or perhaps they know something I don't. And I really hope to learn it one day.
If you are lucky enough to find your other half, these short love quotes are for you.
72 Short Love Quotes
1. "I will never stop trying. Because when you find the one, you never give up." — Crazy Stupid Love
Love is worth it.
2. "I never want to stop making memories with you." — Pierre Jeanty
You're all I want.
3. "We love the things we love for what they are." — Robert Frost
And that's all there is to it.
4. "And in her smile I see something more beautiful than the stars." — Beth Revis, Across the Universe
We contain a universe within ourselves.
5. "I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you." — Jamie McGuire
You love someone for who they are, not just the parts that you like.
6. “Life is the flower for which love is the honey.” — Victor Hugo
There is no beauty in life without sweetness.
7. "All that you are is all that I’ll ever need." — Ed Sheeran, Tenerife Sea
You either accept someone as they are, or not at all.
8. "I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving." — Pablo Neruda
Love should come naturally.
9. "The giving of love is an education in itself." — Eleanor Roosevelt
Love is the ultimate teacher.
10. "I love you as one loves certain dark things, secretly, between the shadow and the soul." — Pablo Neruda
Love is simultaneously very and very public.
11. "I love how she makes me feel like anything is possible, or like life is worth it." — 500 Days of Summer
One person can make all the difference.
12. "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while." — The Princess Bride
We all believe in a love so powerful it consumes you.
13. "I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day." — Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
Forever with you sounds perfect.
14. "What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down." — It's A Wonderful Life
If you love someone genuinely, they'll love you in return.
15. “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.” — David Viscott
Love is the ultimate warmth.
16. "You make me want to be a better man." — "As Good As It Gets"
Real love makes you want to be the best version of yourself for your partner.
17. "I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home." — Sleepless in Seattle
Home isn't always a place.
18. “Love isn’t something you find. Love is something that finds you.” — Loretta Young
It's like magic.
19. "It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you." — The Fault In Our Stars
Love is risky.
20. "It seems right now that all I’ve ever done in my life is making my way here to you." — The Bridges of Madison County
When you find someone you love, don't let them go.
21. "You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought." — Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
You are my everything.
22. "I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night." — When Harry Met Sally
When they are always on your mind.
23. "Take love, multiply it by infinity and take it to the depths of forever, and you still have only a glimpse of how I feel for you." — Meet Joe Black
The key to loving someone properly is not to lose yourself within them, but to find parts of yourself through them.
24. "With the whole world crumbling, we pick this time to fall in love." — Ilsa in Casablanca
So sadly relatable.
25. "He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking." — Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
When you love someone, you see them everywhere.
26. "Here's looking at you, kid." — "Casablanca"
Beauty is everlasting.
27. "You are my dearest one. My reason for life." — Ian McEwan, Atonement
Love gives you purpose.
28. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." — Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights
Your partner is an extension of yourself.
29. "Each time you happen to me all over again." — Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
You fall in love everyday, even if it's with the same person over and over again.
30. "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." — Jane Austen, Emma
Sometimes, there aren't enough words to say anything.
31. "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage." — Lao Tzu
When you love someone, you have something to lose.
32. "You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear." — Oscar Wilde
You just get each other.
33. "We are most alive when we’re in love." — John Updike
Love stirs us to life.
34. "To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow — this is a human offering that can border on miraculous." — Elizabeth Gilbert
Love is all about vulnerability.
35. "If I know what love is, it is because of you." — Hermann Hesse
Everyone teaches us something new.
36. “Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing.” — Torquato Tasso
Loves fills spaces you can't see.
37. "Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around." — Bob Marley
True love is once in a lifetime.
38. "You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters?" — Bob Marley
Live in the moment and enjoy what you have.
39. “Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.” — Zora Neale Hurston
There's no reason to stay in the shadows when love lights your way.
40. "I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees." ― Pablo Neruda
Always strive to be better than you were the day before.
41. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.” — Peter Ustinov
Love is gentle.
42. “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” — Leo Buscaglia
So keep your eyes wide open.
43. "If you remember me, then I don't care if everyone else forgets." ― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
Show someone who you really are and they'll never forget you.
44. "Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality." — Emily Dickinson
Love is stronger than anything.
45. "What is love? It is the morning and the evening star." — Sinclair Lewis
Love is always guiding you.
46. "So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you." ― Paulo Coehlo
You're exactly where you're supposed to be with exactly who you're supposed to be with.
47. "Love’s gift cannot be given, it waits to be accepted." — Rabindranath Tagore
There must always be give and take.
48. "Love is an energy which exists of itself. It is its own value." — Thornton Wilder
Love is like nothing else.
49. "I think I'd miss you even if we never met." — The Wedding Date
Sometimes you just know you found the one.
50. "I hope you don’t mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you’re in the world.” — Elton John, Your Song
When they make your world a better place.
51. "Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop." — H. L. Mencken
Once you truly love someone, that's all there is to it.
52. "I love you and I like you." — Leslie Knope, Parks & Recreation
To love someone and to like them are two very different things.
53. "We are shaped and fashioned by those we love." — Geothe
Love makes us better people.
54. "Tell me who you love and I’ll tell you who you are." — Creole Proverb
Your love shapes you.
Related Stories From YourTango:
55. "It's like, it's not even real to me. It's like, my life, isn't even real to me, unless you're there, and you're in it, and I'm sharing it with you." — Gilmore Girls
Be with the person who brightens your darkest days.
56. "I love you. I knew it the minute I met you. I’m sorry it took so long for me to catch up. I just got stuck." — The Silver Linings Playbook
Sometimes you don't realize that you love someone until you lose them.
57. "There is no remedy for love but to love more." — Henry David Thoreau
Love cannot be cured, so go with it.
58. "It’s like in that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together." — Serendipity
Everything happens for a reason.
59. "I’ve come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is, and always will be, yours." — Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
You can't expect everyone to love you, but the right people will.
60. "The best proof of love is trust." — Joyce Brothers
And that's how you know.
61. "I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you." — Roy Croft
Be with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself.
62. "Love is a friendship set to music." — Joseph Campbell
Date your best friend.
63. "I am in you and you in me, mutual in divine love." — William Blake
Lovers combine to make a greater whole.
64. "Chemistry is you touching my arm and setting fire to my mind."— Nayyirah Waheed
Be with someone who makes you feel loved all the time.
65. "How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it’s just words." — David Foster Wallace
Actions speak louder than words.
66. "Since I met you this small town hasn't got room for my big feelings." — Bjork, Violently Happy
The Grinch's heart grew 3 sizes bigger that day.
67. "I like you very much. Just as you are." — Bridget Jones’ Diary
I love you for who you are, not who you're not.
68. "We loved with a love that was more than love." — Edgar Allen Poe, Annabel Lee
Love is too small of a word to describe the feelings you have for someone.
69. "I love you more than my own skin." — Frida Kahlo
Love envelopes your whole being.
70. "From the moment I saw her I knew this one was worth the broken heart." ― Atticus
Love is worth the risk.
71. "If you were in an accident, I wouldn’t stop for red lights." — The West Wing
Love is there when you need it most.
72. "A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love." — Max Muller
It's as simple as that.
More for You:
Alyssa Asaro is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.