Sad Update About The Rape And Murder Of 10-Year-Old Ashley Johnson-Barr

Photo: Facebook
Who Killed Ashley Johnson Barr? Details Peter Wilson Charged Murder Sexual Assault
Entertainment And News

Peter Vance Wilson has been charged with the murder of a 10-year-old Alaskan girl who went missing last month. 

Ashley Johnson-Barr's disappearance shocked the small arctic town of Kotzebue and her suspected killer is none other than a relative that gave locals the creeps. 

Wilson, 41, was first charged with lying to the FBI and has now been accused of sexually abusing and strangling the fifth grader to death after DNA evidence, interviews, and surveillance footage linked him to the crime, according to an affidavit filed by an FBI agent. He denied making false statements to authorities and pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Ashley was last seen alive at a local playground on Sept. 6 and her parents reported her missing when she failed to come that evening and wasn't answering her cell phone. An eight-day search that included the FBI, Kotzebue police, and Alaska State Troopers, eventually found Ashley's body more than two miles from the park.

She was partially clothed and her body showed signs of extensive sexual abuse, a Sept. 15 autopsy revealed. Her hands were covered in defensive wounds. 

The girl's body was found in an area covered in thick brush where one "could easily receive scrapes and other injuries from tree branches and other vegetation," the federal charges read, adding that Wilson was covered in scrapes and cuts.

The tundra where Ashley's body was located is only accessible by ATV or by foot.

RELATED: Sad Update About The 10-Year-Old Girl Who Went Missing A Week Ago From A Remote Town In Alaska

Surveillance camera footage shows Wilson riding an ATV with a young girl wearing clothes matching those Ashley was known to be wearing the day she disappeared. Blood was found on the four-wheeler he had used that day.

"The ATV is seen making several detours off the road, to the north and south sides, and then returning to the main road; the camera then loses sight of the ATV as it travels south from the road," the charges state.

Wilson denied riding a four-wheeler on Sept. 6 but the woman he was staying with said he left on an ATV around 5:20 that evening. He returned at 7:20 p.m., she said.

During the time Wilson was unaccounted for, data from Ashley's cellphone relayed it traveled two miles from the park and then reappeared in town at about 8 p.m. The phone was located in Wilson's jacket pocket. 

The woman whose home Wilson was staying at the time heard ringing and picked up the mobile device. She called police when she saw Ashley's name on the screen while trying to unlock it.

RELATED: Why A Mother Let Her Boyfriend Sexually Assault And Impregnate Her 10-Year-Old Daughter

While being questioned by authorities, "Wilson attempted to hide his face with his arm," charges say. He said that he had found the cell phone.

Wilson denied knowing Ashley but was identified as a relative who had visited her home on multiple occasions, according to the affidavit.


Relatives have accused the Kotzebue man of raping them at a young age, the Anchorage Daily News reports. 

A cousin claimed Wilson raped her "more than 40 times" in 1996 when she was 12 and he was 18. Wilson's sister, Albertha Wilson, told the newspaper that he had previously sexually abused her and another young child. 

Authorities are investigating Wilson's past and are working on determining if there are any more victims he may have abused.

RELATED: Who Killed The Rhoden Family? New Expert Theory About Eight Family Members Murdered In Their Home

Sign Up for the YourTango Newsletter

Let's make this a regular thing!

Sarah Gangraw writes about all things news, entertainment and crime. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter.