Awful New Details About The Horrific Abuse 10-Year-Old Marissa Kennedy Suffered Before She Was Murdered By Her Mom And Stepdad

Photo: Waldo County Jail
Awful New Details About The Horrific Abuse A 10-Year-Old Girl Suffered Before She Died
Entertainment And News

Her parents tried to cover up her death.

A 10-year-old girl was beaten to death by her mother and stepfather, who are now facing murder charges.

Marissa Kennedy was found dead in her Stockton Springs home Sunday after suffering months of physical abuse inflicted by her mother and stepfather, Sharon and Julio Carrillo. Police responded to a 911 call made by the girl’s stepfather.

He originally told law enforcement Marissa had fallen down the stairs and landed on the basement floor.

“The girl was dead when first responders arrived and state police detectives were called to investigate the death,” said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety. 

According to NECN, Marissa had bruises all over her head, stomach, legs, and knees.

RELATED: 9 Of The Most Disturbing Details From The Murder Of 8-Year-Old Cherish Perrywinkle (Who Was Kidnapped At Walmart)

Later, while the couple was being interviewed separately, they changed their story. Both admitted to beating Marissa for months and making her death look like an accident, police said.

A report by the Press Herald says that Julio, 51, told police they found Marissa unresponsive on Saturday and that he and Sharon, 33, talked about how they would cover up her death and stage the scene.

Julio said he carried Marissa’s body into the basement and knocked over some chairs to make it look like she had fallen. After a few hours, Julio said he carried her back up into the home and Sharon tried to clean her body before he called 911.

RELATED: New Details Revealed About The Man Found With A Japanese Woman's Head In His Suitcase After Allegedly Meeting Her On An Online Dating App

“Julio Carrillo explained that he knew Marissa Kennedy was badly injured and in need of medical help but chose not to get her help because he figured Sharon Carillo would lie about how she was hurting Marissa Kennedy and he would be the only one left to blame because he would be honest about what he was doing to her,” the affidavit says.

The chief medical examiner determined that Marissa died from battered child syndrome. She also had a lacerated liver, suffered a subdural hematoma, and exhibited signs of acute and chronic abuse.

Sharon and Julio said they beat Marissa several times a day since October to the point where the girl could no longer speak without slurring her words or walk.

The Press Herald reports that they would punish Marissa by making her kneel on the tile floor while they hit her with a leather belt 10 to 15 times. There was carpeted and wooden floor in the condominium but Sharon and Julio decided to make her kneel on the tile because it hurt more.

Julio admitted he hit Marissa in the ribs with a metal mop at one point.

He also told police that he thought his wife continued to beat the girl after he had stopped because she thought Marissa was faking her injuries. The couple had two other children in the condo, ages 1 and 2, who showed no signs of abuse. McCausland said the children were taken into custody by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.

Police say it is uncertain why the Carrillo’s chose only to abuse Marissa but are looking into why she was punished so intensely. “We have an incredible amount of additional work to do,” McCausland said. “Some of the obvious questions we have answers to, some we don’t.”

RELATED: New Details About The Teen Who Sent Photos Of A Dying Girl To His Friends Before Sexually Assaulting Her As She Passed Away