Awful New Details Revealed About How The FBI Found The Body Of Missing North Carolina 4-Year-Old Raul Johnson

Body Of Missing North Carolina 4-Year-Old Found In Pond, FBI Say
Entertainment And News

He went missing January 24.

A body was found in a pond Saturday that is likely that of a missing 4-year-old boy from Scotland County in North Carolina. 

A medical examiner has yet to confirm the body and cause of death, but authorities believe it is the body of Raul Johnson who went missing Jan. 24.

At this time it appears to be accidental,” Scotland County Sheriff Ralph E. Kersey said at a press conference Saturday. “We will continue the investigation until we have the answers to what happened to this little boy.”

The search and rescue for Johnson had switched to an “investigative approach” last week and the FBI took over the case. Three separate K-9 units “took the same course” to a pond less than a mile from Johnson’s home, which authorities decided to drain in an effort to find the boy.

RELATED: 8 Suspicious New Details About Missing 4-Year-Old North Carolina Boy — And How Both Of His Parents Have A History Of Child Abuse

“We’re working to make arrangements to drain that pond to be 100 percent certain that Raul is not in there,” Jason Kaplan, a supervisory special agent with the FBI, said Friday before the pond was drained.

The local authorities and FBI were leaving no stone unturned in order to find out what happened to Raul.

RELATED: Awful New Details About The Couple Who Killed Two Of Their Children After Their Sibling Stole A Bagel

“I just don’t know if somebody took him or if he’s lost in the woods or if something happened to him in the water,” the boy’s mother, Annie Johnson, told WFMY on Thursday. “I don’t know, I just want him home.”

Unfortunately, the FBI’s discovery may have confirmed Annie’s worst fear.

The body was found around 1:45 p.m. Saturday in a nearby pond off Peabridge Road in Laurinburg, the FBI said.

"We have prayed, but this the outcome everyone feared and it is heartbreaking," he said during a press conference on Saturday.

Kersey became very emotional during the press conference and although he was saddened by the results of the case, he was sure authorities did everything they could. Kersey said the fact that he had met the boy made him even determined to find the boy.

"I have never been involved in this type of search," Kersey said. "It's the first type of search of this magnitude in this town. We have learned a lot. But I know that we gave it our best."

Raul had been reported missing after he wandered off while his grandfather was babysitting him. The Amber Alert that issued for the boy was canceled Saturday around 8:30 p.m.

“I know that I gave my best. It put a passion in me to do all that I could to bring him home safe,” Kersey said, with tears running down his face.

RELATED: 5 New Details About Mark Salling's Suicide, Including How The Former Glee Star Died And The Strange Place He Was Found