Defining the importance of friendship is difficult at times, but there's no denying that the bond of two people who consider themselves best friends is powerful.
And there's no better way to appreciate this bond than to let your best friend know how much you love them by sharing cute friendship quotes.
Whether it's Terri Guillemets' quote, "Friends make you smile. Best friends make you giggle ’til you pee your pants," or the wise words of Cookie Monster when he said, "Sometimes me think, 'what is friend?' and then me say 'friend is someone to share the last cookie with,'" there's no doubt that friendship is essential.
Friendships teach us many things in life — to accept ourselves for who we are, to face the challenges in life head-on, and to find peace with the people closest to us. Having someone as a best friend is a beautiful experience to cherish.
A good, cute friendship quote to show just how strong a bond can be includes something like, "True friendship isn't about being inseparable, it's being separated and nothing changes."
Psychologically, friends are important because they tend to see you in a way you don’t see yourself. They can always see through you, which means they know what you're thinking, and can remind you of your greatest strengths and wildest dreams.
It’s also important to have someone who puts both your strengths and flaws in the proper perspective. Your best friends tell you when you're walking down the wrong path and call you out when you're being selfish. Your BFF is someone who can always see the good in you, so keep this quote in mind if you ever doubt that: "A best friend is someone who loves you when you forget to love yourself."
Knowing who has your back at all times is especially comforting during the toughest moments in your life or when you need help coping with loneliness. And, of course, having a best friend is just really, really fun! Enjoying moments, big and small, surrounded by friends who feel as close as family is what life is really all about.
Friends remind us chill out and let loose, even when it all feels like too much. Everything is temporary, and even the worst circumstances will pass. So as you read through these quotes about friendship, reminisce about the best people in your life, and then share them to impress your very best friends.
Look to these 101 cute friendship quotes for comfort and as a reminder to cherish the days ahead with your best friends by your side.
Quotes About Unexpected Friendships
1. "There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met." ― Jim Henson
2. “It could be a meeting on the street, or a party or a lecture, or just a simple, banal introduction, then suddenly there is a flash of recognition and the embers of kinship glow. There is an awakening between you, a sense of ancient knowing.”― John O'Donohue
3. “We are all the same and we are all different. What great friends we will be.” ― Kelly Moran, "The Tiny Caterpillar and the Great Big Tree"
4. “No friendship is an accident.” ― O. Henry
5. "Friendship is so weird. You just pick a human you've met and you're like, 'Yep, I like this one,' and you just do stuff with them."
6. “Real friendship or love is not manufactured or achieved by an act of will or intention. Friendship is always an act of recognition.” ― John O'Donohue
7. “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of acts of kindness there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over.” ― James Boswell
8. "That's the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place." — Miriam Adeney
9. “To like many people spontaneously and without effort is perhaps the greatest of all sources of personal happiness.” ― Bertrand Russell
10. "Some souls just understand each other upon meeting."
11. "The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul." — Shanna Rodriguez
12. “A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face.” ― Maya Angelou
Longtime Friend Quotes
13. "We will always be friends 'til we are old and senile. Then, we can be new friends."
14. “The friends you make in college are friends you'll have for life, even if you don't talk for years at a time.” ― Jessica Park
15. "You know someone's special to you when... you don't talk for a while because things get busy but when you two eventually do it's like you didn't miss a beat. You talk like there was no gap in between and you laugh until both your stomachs hurt. It's a rare and special connection and personally I think it's pure magic. If you ever find someone like this in your life, never let them go."
16. “Friendship is a serious affection; the most sublime of all affections, because it is founded on principle, and cemented by time.” ― Mary Wollstonecraft
17. “Two persons cannot long be friends if they cannot forgive each other's little failings.” ― Jean de La Bruyère
18. “You usually can’t recall all the people you’ve shared laughs with. But you rarely forget the people you’ve shared your tears with.” ― Mya Robarts, "The V Girl: A Coming Of Age Story"
19. “The best mirror is an old friend.” ― George Herbert
20. "The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart."
21. "Ah, how good it feels! The hand of an old friend." — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
22. “Being in a relationship, that's something you choose. Being friends, that's just something you are. [But] I do pick you. We've been friends too long to pick, but if we could pick, I'd pick you.” ― John Green
23. "A friend is one who incessantly pays us the compliment of expecting from us all the virtues, and who can appreciate them in us." — Henry David Thoreau
24. "Constant use had not worn ragged the fabric of their friendship." — Dorothy Parker
25. "You are braver than you believe... But, the most important thing is, even if we are apart, I'll always be with you." — A.A. Milne
26. "No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." — Robert Southey
27. “The companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain.” ― Mary Shelley
28. “He was the strangest of strangers in that he was also her oldest friend.” ― Ann Brashares
29. "Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." — Muhammad Ali
30. "I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing." — Katherine Mansfield
Cute Friendship Quotes
31. "I'd take a nerf bullet for you."
32. "The only way to have a friend is to be one." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
33. “Most of us don't need a psychiatric therapist as much as a friend to be silly with.” ― Robert Brault
34. "Real queens fix each other's crowns."
35. “Friendship is the wine of life.” ― Edward Young
36. "Stick with the people who pull the magic out of you and not the madness."
37. “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ― Jane Austen
38. “Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.” ― Khalil Gibran
39. “Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and to have her nonsense respected.” ― Charles Lamb
40. "Stay close to people who feel like sunlight."
41. “It's bull***t to think of friendship and romance as being different. They're not. They're just variations of the same love. Variations of the same desire to be close.” ― Rachel Cohn
42. "A true friend is the greatest of all blessings." — Francois de La Rochefoucauld
43. “A friend is someone that asks, 'how are you,' and really wants to hear the truth.” ― Tonny K. Brown
44. “Wasn’t friendship its own miracle, the finding of another person who made the entire lonely world seem somehow less lonely?” ― Hanya Yanagihara
45. "Cheers to low-maintenance friends, the ones who understand life gets busy but when we see each other, there's nothing but love."
46. "Sometimes me think, 'what is friend?' and then me say 'friend is someone to share the last cookie with.'" — Cookie Monster
47. “I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
48. "I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” ― Helen Keller
49. “I know that the arms of friendship are long enough to reach from the one end of the world to the other.” ― Montaigne
50. “Friendships between women, as any woman will tell you, are built of a thousand small kindnesses... swapped back and forth and over again.” ― Michelle Obama
51. “Love is blind. Friendship closes its eyes.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
52. “...I'm so thankful for friendship. It beautifies life so much.” ― L.M. Montgomery
53. "That's when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you-the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you-because that is what people are supposed to do."
54. “A real friendship ought to introduce each person to unexpected weirdness in the other.” ― Jaron Lanier
55. "Surround yourself with people who talk about visions and ideas. Not people."
56. “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you... I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Quotes About Bonding With Friends
57. "The language of friendship is not words but meanings." — Henry David Thoreau
58. “That's what friendship is, sharing the prejudice of experience.” ― Charles Bukowski
59. “...the tenure of friendships has never been governed by the passage of time.” ― Amor Towles
60. "When you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark."
61. "That moment when you, a queen, come across another queen, and discuss how to maximize your joint slay."
62. “Friendship... is born at the moment when one man says to another 'What! You too? I thought that no one but myself...'” ― C.S. Lewis
63. "A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow." — William Shakespeare
64. “Silence makes the real conversations between friends. Not the saying, but the never needing to say that counts.” ― Margaret Lee Runbeckv
65. "Life is kind of like a party. You invite a lot of people... a few who stay to help you clean up the mess... they are the only ones who matter."
66. “There is no hospitality like understanding.” ― Vanna Bonta
67. "Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant." — Socrates
68. “Talk between women friends is always therapy...” ― Jayne Anne Phillips
69. "A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad." — Arnold H. Glasgow
70. "Notice the people who are happy for your happiness and sad for your sadness. They're the ones who deserve special places in your heart."
71. "It's easy to spot the strong women. They're the ones lifting each other up, not tearing each other down."
72. "A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails." — Donna Roberts
73. “She recognized that that is how friendships begin: one person reveals a moment of strangeness, and the other person decides just to listen and not exploit it.” ― Meg Wolitzer
74. "The most memorable people in life will be the friends who loved you when you weren't very lovable."
75. "Some people go to priests, others to poetry, I to my friends." — Virginia Woolf
76. "Maybe I can't stop the downpour, but I will always join you for a walk in the rain."
Cute Quotes For Best Friends
Related Stories From YourTango:
77. "The best kind of friendships are fierce lady friendships where you aggressively believe in each other, defend each other, and think the other deserves the world."
78. “It’s not enough to be friendly. You have to be a friend.” — R.J. Palacio, "Wonder"
79. “Close friends are truly life's treasures. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears. Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone.” ― Vincent van Gogh
80. “It is absolutely okay with me if you need to keep some secrets. I've been thinking about this and I decided that a best friend is someone who, when they don't understand, they still understand.” ― Nancy Werlin
81. "You don't even need to ask, I got you."
82. "You're pretty much my most favorite of all time in the history of ever."
83. “An acquaintance merely enjoys your company, a fair-weather companion flatters when all is well, a true friend has your best interests at heart and the pluck to tell you what you need to hear.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri
84. "There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family."
85. "That was what a best friend did: hold up a mirror and show you your heart." — Kristin Hannah
86. “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” ― Euripides
87. “I knew when I met you an adventure was going to happen.” — A.A. Milne
88. "The one who doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but tells you what you need to hear. Keep that."
89. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” ― Linda Grayson
90. “I would rather have 1 amazing best friend than 100 decent regular friends. It's not about quantity, it's about quality.”― Connor Franta
91. "You and I are more than friends. We're like a really small gang."
92. "Friends make you smile. Best friends make you giggle ’til you pee your pants." — Terri Guillemets
93. "If you have two friends in your lifetime, you're lucky. If you have one good friend, you're more than lucky.” ― S.E. Hinton
94. "No beauty shines brighter than that of a good heart."
95. “A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.” ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
96. "Some talk to you in their free time and some free their time to talk to you. Learn the difference."
97. "You are gold, baby. Solid gold."
98. “Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” ― Elie Wiesel
99. “Never leave a friend behind. Friends are all we have to get us through this life — and they are the only things from this world that we could hope to see in the next.” ― Dean Koontz, "Fear Nothing"
100. "If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day so I never have to live without you." — Winnie the Pooh
101. "It's OK. You just forgot who you are. Welcome back."
Camila Isopo Novi is a fiction writer/journalist who loves small humans, validation through the form of likes or comments on her writing, and biting remarks.
More for You on YourTango:
Aria Gmitter, MS, MFA, is a Senior Editor for YourTango.