Entertainment And News

Shia LaBeouf Releases Video Of Olivia Wilde Alluding To Tensions With Florence Pugh On ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ Set

Photo: Tinseltown / Silvia Elizabeth Pangaro / Shutterstock
Olivia Wilde, Florence Pugh, Shia LaBeouf

After Olivia Wilde insinuated that Shia LaBeouf was dropped from her upcoming film 'Don't Worry Darling,' LaBeouf rebutted, claiming that he wasn't fired but that he had quit instead.

In email exchanges with Variety, LaBeouf shared a video Wilde allegedly sent that paints a picture different from the narrative that has been portrayed thus far.

In an interview with Variety, Wilde, 38, spoke about her decision to recast LaBeouf's role, which was the male lead opposite Florence Pugh. 

Shia LaBeouf was replaced with Harry Styles when production for 'Don't Worry Darling' began.

Harry Styles, 28, had been Wilde's initial choice for the role, but ultimately due to his touring schedule, he wasn't able to sign on to the project at the time. 

RELATED: Olivia Wilde Responds To Claims That Harry Styles Was Paid 4 Times More Than Florence Pugh For ‘Don’t Worry Darling’

As production began on the film in 2020, LaBeouf's involvement was cut short with reports saying that the actor had left due to a scheduling conflict.

Soon, though, it was reported that LaBeouf was fired and claims first shared by Variety cited several sources who said LaBeouf, 36, "exhibited poor behavior and his style clashed with the cast and crew, including Wilde, who ultimately fired him."

Wilde told Variety the real reason that she removed LaBeouf from production.

"I say this as someone who is such an admirer of his work," she said. "His process was not conducive to the ethos that I demand in my productions. He has a process that, in some ways, seems to require a combative energy, and I don't personally believe that is conducive to the best performances."

Wilde continued, "I believe that creating a safe, trusting environment is the best way to get people to do their best work. Ultimately, my responsibility is to the production and to the cast to protect them. That was my job."

RELATED: Florence Pugh & Olivia Wilde Are Feuding Over Harry Styles ‘Affair’ Ahead Of Upcoming Movie, Says Source

Months after he exited the production, LaBeouf was sued by his ex-girlfriend FKA Twigs for sexual battery. Following the suit, LaBeouf checked himself into inpatient treatment and took a hiatus from acting after parting ways with his talent agency.

"A lot came to light after this happened that really troubled me, in terms of his behavior," Wilde told Variety. "I find myself just really wishing him health and evolution because I believe in restorative justice."

"But for our film," she continued, "what we really needed was an energy that was incredibly supportive. Particularly with a movie like this, I knew that I was going to be asking Florence to be in very vulnerable situations, and my priority was making her feel safe and making her feel supported."

However, after Wilde's interview with Variety, LaBeouf came forward, denying the claims that he'd been fired.

In email exchanges sent to Variety, LaBeouf shared that he had "quit the film due to lack of rehearsal time."

RELATED: FKA Twigs & Margaret Qualley Allegedly Fought In Hotel Lobby Over Shia LaBeouf Allegations

LaBeouf forwarded two emails to the publication, which he claimed to have sent to Wilde on August 24 and August 25 after her Variety interview was published. 

"You and I both know the reasons for my exit. I quit your film because your actors and I couldn’t find time to rehearse," he wrote. 

The 'Honey Boy' actor also provided screenshots of text messages between him and Wilde that dated back to August 2020, where he told Wilde that he would have to back out of 'Don't Worry Darling.' 

In the texts, LaBeouf and Wilde met in person to discuss his decision to leave the film. After their meeting, Wilde texted the actor: "Thanks for letting me in on your thought process. I know that isn’t fun. Doesn’t feel good to say no to someone, and I respect your honesty."

LaBeouf also included a video that was sent to him by Wilde. In it, the 'Booksmart' director is driving in her car while saying she's "not ready to give up on this yet," while also hinting at tension between LaBeouf and Pugh.

   

   

“You know, I think this might be a bit of a wake-up call for Miss Flo, and I want to know if you’re open to giving this a shot with me, with us," Wilde says in the video. 

"If she really commits, if she really puts her mind and heart into it at this point, and if you guys can make peace — and I respect your point of view, I respect hers — but if you guys can do it, what do you think? Is there hope? Will you let me know?”

LaBeouf, who had been cast in the male lead role, Jack, opposite Pugh, was ultimately replaced with Styles, who Wilde told Variety is "the perfect Jack."

RELATED: Harry Styles And Olivia Wilde's 'Affair' Started Before Her Breakup With Jason Sudeikis, Source Claims

Nia Tipton is a writer living in Brooklyn. She covers pop culture, social justice issues, and trending topics. Keep up with her on Instagram and Twitter.

Sign up for YourTango's free newsletter!