Tip #20: Visit a pet shelter for some serious snuggle time.
Whether you're single by choice or circumstance, Valentine's Day can seem more like Single's Awareness Day instead of a day celebrating love. Rather than dreading February 14, why not try something different? Celebrating with your girlfriends is a great alternative to sitting at home alone or feeling jealous about the flowers that co-worker received from her boyfriend.
So in the spirit of love, here are 30 ideas to spark your creativity for celebrating this Valentine's Day with your besties.
- Host a karaoke night.
- Have a Wii dance party. You might want to try Zumba, belly dancing, disco or stripper moves.
- Go out for manis and pedis.
- Treat each other to lunch. Yes, you'll each still have a bill, but somehow it's still fun to know you were treated to lunch!
- Send each other a gift at work. Who doesn't love to receive flowers or chocolate for Valentine's Day and letting the whole office see?
- Send each other "what I love about you" notes. This is your chance to tell her how much you love her brilliance or kindness or sense of humor or… And you'll get to hear the same from her!
- You've heard of Secret Santa. Why not a Secret St. Valentine?
- Get a box of Valentines like you did in elementary school and send them to all your girlfriends.
- Open a bag of candy hearts and talk about who would be your dream recipient for each message. Then make up messages you wish were on the hears as you drop them in glasses of champagne.
- Girl power movie marathon. My favorite is Legally Blonde.
- Host a sex toy party. No, it's not your mother's Mary Kay party. It's a whole lot more fun!
- Take the day off and do something adventurous or fun outdoors. Maybe this Valentine's Day will be when you each can cross skydiving off your bucket list!
- Retail therapy. A new pair of shoes always make a day better!
- Get a massage.
- Get Tarot readings.
- Giggle about your worst dates ever at the hottest bar in town. You'll be sure to attract attention.
- Commit to a day of good deeds and share the stories with each other over dinner.
- Give out Valentine's Day cards at a retirement home or hospice.
- Give out Valentine's Day cards at your local fire station.
- Visit a pet shelter and cuddle or walk the pets.
- Have a potluck dessert party.
- Have a marshmallow fight. The boys have paintball and we have marshmallows. Each of you gets a bag of stale marshmallows to use as ammunition. (They're less sticky when they're stale, but still tasty!)
- Update or create on-line dating profiles.
- Host a flower arranging event. Get a bunch of flowers from a florist or grocery store. Ask everyone to bring a vase and spend the evening with wine, conversation and flower arranging.
- Setup a wine tasting party at your home, the local wine store or even a winery.
- Host a craft party — even macaroni crafts — with prizes for the most outlandish, etc.
- Host a dream date party: Everyone brings a picture of their favorite celebrity and a story of their ideal date with them. The best story wins a prize.
- Why I like being single! Being single can actually be kinda fabulous. Get together and talk about what's perfect about being single. You're bound to get some new perspectives.
- Plan and cook a fabulous meal together. Serve it up like a 5-star restaurant would.
- Do a "chore" for each other. There are all kinds of ways to feel loved and sometimes getting help doing a "chore" can be a great way to demonstrate and experience love.
Just because you're not romantically linked up doesn't mean you can't spend Valentine's Day feeling and spreading the love. Give it a try and you're sure to have a blast with your besties!
Dr. Karen Finn is a divorce coach and advisor helping people who are considering divorce make a smart decision about staying or leaving their marriage. You can join her anonymous newsletter group for free advice or email her at Karen@functionaldivorce.com for a free consultation. Don’t let the worry about divorce ruin your life, help is available as soon as you’re ready.
More Valentine's Day ideas on YourTango: