Including a shamrock kir, a spiked green iced tea, and a boozy Guinness milkshake.
St. Patrick's Day is next week, and with the traditional pub crawls and copious pints of beer, it's the perfect excuse to get a little tipsy. But if you're looking for a more refined celebratory toast with your date this year, why not try mixing a spiked green tea, an peppermint martini or a stout-inspired milkshake? Many of them are sneakily flavored with aphrodisiacs such as basil and chocolate in the hopes that the Irish aren't the only ones with a little luck this St. Paddy's Day (if you know what I mean). (Bonus: they're not all green!)
By the chef staff of Benjamin Steakhouse Westchester
- 1/2 oz. Apple Pucker
1. Add 1/2 oz of apple pucker to a champagne glass and top of with your champagne of choice.
2. Add a cherry for garnish, if desired.
Pot O' Gold Cocktail
By Coryanne Ettiene of Celebrations
- 1 oz of whiskey
- 4 oz of ginger ale
- Orange twist
- Gold sugar glitter
- Slice of orange
1. In a chilled glass, run the orange slice along the rim of the glass and then gently rim the glass with gold sugar glitter.
2. Add the Whiskey, and then top with the ginger ale.
3. Garnish with an orange rind twist.
Clos du Bois Clos Clover
By Clos du Bois Wines
- 4 oz of Clos du Bois North Coast Chardonnay
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- 1 oz triple sec
- 4 oz lemon-lime soda
- 1 orange
1. Pour the Chardonnay into glasses.
2. Add triple sec and stir. Top off the glasses with both the cranberry juice and lemon-lime soda.
3. Stir again and add orange slice (giving a gentle squeeze first) decoration.
Green Iced Tea
By James Labe, America's first tea sommelier
- 1 Numi decaf ginger lemon tea
- 3 oz. fresh cucumber juice
- 1 1/2 oz. tequila
- Splash of lemon juice
1. Infuse one tea bag in tequila for thirty minutes, then remove bag, squeezing out excess.
2. Combine and stir ingredients.
3. Serve on the rocks.
4. Garnish with lime wedge.
Chocolate Guinness Milkshake
By Stuart O'Keeffe for My Man's Belly
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream (use a premium ice cream)
- 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
For The Topping
- Whipped cream
- 1 square of dark chocolate
1. Place all ingredients in a blender (except for the topping ingredients) and blitz until all ingredients are well combined.
2. Pour mixture into tall glasses, top with whipped cream and grate some chocolate shavings on top!
Cucumber Basil Martini
By the chef staff of Coal Fire Bistro & Wine Bar
- 1 1/2 oz. cucumber-infused beefeaters gin
- 3 slices cucumbers
- 1 lime
- 1 oz. rock candy simple syrup
- 3 basil leaves
1. Well muddle cucumber, 2 basil leaves and simple syrup in a mixing tin. Add ice and gin and juice of 1 lime.
2. Shake and strain into martini glass.
3. Garnish with basil and cucumber skewer.
Chocolate Peppermint Martini
By Susan Mallery, NYT best-selling author of Susan Mallery's Fool's Gold Cookbook
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz green crème de menthe
- 1 oz peppermint Schnapps
- Crushed ice
- 1 oz Bailey's mint chocolate liqueur
1. In a blender, combine ice, vodka, crème de menthe, and peppermint Schapps.
2. Pour into a chilled martini glass. Carefully add one ounce of Bailey's mint chocolate liqueur, so the drink has lovely bands of green and brown.
3. Serve with a green-striped peppermint stick for stirring.
More sizzling cooking from YourTango: