Important signs that indicate if you or someone you know is being abused.
Domestic abuse is a serious issue. The Institute for Domestic Violence has published daunting statistics that suggest that a high number of women are involved in or have been involved in a domestic violence relationship:
- 85-95% of all domestic violence victims are female.
- Over 500,00 women are stalked by an intimate partner each year.
- 5.3 million women are abused each year.
- 1,232 women are killed each year by an intimate partner.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women.
- Women are more likely to be attacked by someone they know rather than by a stranger.
Domestic violence can happen to anyone. Unfortunately, often times the signs of domestic violence are overlooked or minimized, especially if the abuse is psychological rather than physical. According to the Institute for Domestic Violence there are signs that help women identify if they are in a domestic violence or abusive relationship:
- Seem afraid or anxious to please their partner.
- Go along with everything their partner says and does.
- Check in often with their partner to report where they are and what they’re doing.
- Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner.
- Talk about their partner’s temper, jealousy, or possessiveness. Keep reading...
More abusive relationships advice from YourTango
- 5 Signs Of Verbal Abuse In Your Relationship [EXPERT]
- Find A Relationship Expert
- 10 Signs You're In An Abusive Relationship