Conor Mcgregor Sexual Assault Details

Photo: Instagram 
conor mcgregor sexual assault details

For years, the name Conor McGregor has struck fear into the hearts of men. As an MMA champion, McGregor was a powerful force to be reckoned with until he announced his retirement at the end of March. But McGregor didn't exactly go out in a blaze of glory. Shocking allegations about sexual assault have arisen, and now the New York Times is doing its best to make sure that we know everything there is to know about the charges that have been laid against McGregor.

But the laws in Ireland are different than they are in the United States. The press does not have the same sort of access, which has made it difficult for even a paper like the Times to get the information they need to report on the case. Here's what we know so far about the sexual assault allegations made against Conor McGregor, and what he has to say about the pending investigation.

RELATED: The Weird Sex Thing Floyd Mayweather Is Doing To Prepare For His Boxing Match Showdown With Conor McGregor

1. How The Rumors Started 

The laws in Ireland are very different from Europe and from the rest of the world, in this case, namely, the United States of America. In Ireland, the name of a person accused of rape cannot be released unless they are convicted. 

However, when McGregor was arrested on Jan. 17, it was all the sporting world, in particular, the world of MMA (mixed martial arts), could talk about. It was only a matter of time until a news outlet outside of Ireland got their hands on the details, and that's exactly what happened. The New York Times reached out to the Irish authorities and received no official confirmation, just word that a "sportsman" had been arrested and released pending an ongoing investigation.  

2. When The Press Got Involved

But the Times wasn't content to sit back on their laurels and wait to see how this mysterious investigation panned out. They had been working with four different people, sources who are close to the investigation, and that, combined with the statement they received from the Irish authorities was enough for them to move forward and run with their story about McGregor on March 26. 

The Times is being extra cautious in how they share their information, which is fair. Allegations like this, if they are false, can damage a person's entire life. The Times notes, “The allegations have not been proven and the fact that an investigation is continuing does not imply that McGregor is guilty of a crime. A lawyer for McGregor in Dublin did not respond to messages seeking comment.”

RELATED: Who Is Conor McGregor's Girlfriend? New Details On Dee Devlin

3. What Allegedly Happened

 

The real Gorrilla @augustmcgregor

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on Mar 21, 2019 at 12:07am PDT

The woman who is pressing charges alleges that the events took place at the Beacon Hotel in Dublin at the end of December 2018. A person with a connection to the case who is working with the Times told them that McGregor is sometimes a guest of the hotel, booking out its luxurious penthouse suite when he chooses to stay there.

The last time McGregor stayed at the hotel was the night after the alleged attack took place, and this is coming from someone who is connected to the hotel itself. The authorities investigating have taken security footage from the hotel itself and have taken photographs of the suite where the crime is said to have been committed. They have also taken evidence from the room where McGregor stayed. 

4. Connor McGregor's Statement 

Karen Kessler, McGregor's spokesperson, has issued a statement on his behalf. It wasn't addressed to the Times, either, but to ESPN saying that the story about the athlete’s arrest is just a “rumor.”

“This story has been circulating for some time and it is unclear why it is being reported now,” she said. The story breaking the day Conor announced his retirement she also claimed was a coincidence. “The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely false. Should Conor fight in the future it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work and their dedication to the sport.”

5. His Retirement Announcement 

McGregor himself has remained absolutely mum about the charges, choosing instead to let his spokesperson deal with the fallout. The only statement he's made is the announcement about his retirement that was mentioned earlier in this article. 

Conor announced his retirement casually on Twitter, saying: “Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today. I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”

RELATED: Who Is Khabib Nurmagomedov? New Details About The Russian UFC Fighter Who Beat Conor McGregor

Rebecca Jane Stokes is a writer living in Brooklyn, New York with her cats, Batman and Margot. Her work focuses on relationships, pop culture and news. For more of her work, check out her Tumblr