Forget diamonds, I believe a single gal’s best friend is her iPod. Whether you are coping through a breakup, an un reciprocated crush or a classic case of He’s Just Not That Into You – the right song can certainly change your mood around. Here are five of my favorites:
1. Beyonce’s “Best Thing I Never Had” – This details the perfect scenario when Mr. Left You Hanging comes back for a second chance and you get to say I told you so. I like to imagine all of my past heart breakers gathered around as I serenade their shattered egos with the lyrics, “I used to want you so bad, I'm so through with that…I bet it sucks to be you right now.”
More from YourTango: Is Tinder The Least Shallow Dating App On The Market?
2. Elton John’s “I’m Still Standing” – This song stands to remind you that nobody deserves the sole power to knock you down and eventually we all recover. As you hear Elton belting out - “Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did, Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid, I'm still standing after all this time, Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind,” - you too will feel as if your heart is unbreakable.
3. Pink’s “So What” – whenever I am feeling truly wronged, I know that Pink will understand. I tap into her inner anger whenever I need to resist the temptation to breakdown in a pity party of tears. “So What’s” lyrics – “And guess what, I'm having more fun, And now that we're done, I'm gonna show you tonight…I'm alright, I'm just fine, And you're a tool, So, so what?”- serves as a gentle reminder that sometimes Mr. Heartbreaker was just a tool dressed up as something more and you are better off without him.
More from YourTango: Why They Didn't Call After Your First Date
4. Kellie Pickler’s “Best Days of Your Life” – this country song reminds us that even when Mr. Cheater moves on, he doesn’t win. The lyrics – “'Cause I'll be there in the back of your mind, From the day we met till you were making me cry, And it's just too bad you've already had the best days, The best days of your life,” – go out to all the womanizers out there who never deserved you in the first place.
5. Leona Lewis’ “ The Best You Never Had” – this is a somewhat softer I told you so tale in which someone finally sees you as more than just a friend, just a little too late. Most of us have pined at some point in our lives for one of our friends but never got the chance to quote Leona by saying, “You saw me as a friend, Baby I don't want revenge, But if you must know the truth, What you didn't see in me, That's what you'll never be.”