Recently in the news, a woman speaks out for contraceptives and conservatives began to go stir crazy! Rush Limbaugh went way too far this time calling Sandra Fluke, a 30 year old law student and an advocate for female rights, a slut, whore and feminazi because she's spoke out on behalf of females everywhere for contraception. 7 Expert Opinions On Rush Limbaugh's "Slut" Comments
That is just wrong! This is just one more example of male domination attempting to suppress females. "Everything from property ownership to political activity, education to social mobility has been dominated by men throughout history. Physical violence has been the mechanism of control and the threat of violence has been the agent of suppression wherever a system of inequality has been allowed to flourish."
More from YourTango: It's International No Diet Day Today!!! May 6th!
Cultures emanating from fear and tyranny use physical violence to control, overpower and corrupt education, emancipation and personal freedom. Hence, war. Third world countries have far greater suppression then we have in the United States, the melting pot of many cultures. In many third world countries, women cannot be educated, choose what they wear (clothing), choose who they marry and at what age and some countries even go as far as female genital mutilation or Clitoridectomy. The World Health Organization defines Clitoridectomy as, "all procedures involving partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs whether for cultural, religious or other non-therapeutic reasons."(1)
In other words, there is no physical issue or disease being addressed by these mutilations. In fact, in studies done, these mutilations expose women and children to significant risk at childbirth. (2)
So let's face it. There have always been double standards between men and women when it comes to sex or anything sexually related. For example:
- When a boy has sex for the first time at a young age he gets a "high five" for coming into his manhood. A girl on the other hand is considered overly promiscuous if she's sexually active at a young age.
- Girls are supposed to wait until they get married to have sex, yet boys are encouraged to have sex prior to marriage, and in many cases are even setup with "someone of experience" for their first time (many times by their father).
- Porn is male dominated. The depiction of a man jamming his penis into the female as she bends over and fake groans is really not sensual and I have never met a female who makes love like a pornstar. My Husband Was Addicted To Porn; What If He Relapses?
- Married men see their wives as a prim/proper mommy of their children and then complain that they aren't sexual enough or that sex is mundane and boring. If he wants his sex life spicy, doesn't he play a part in making that happen?
More from YourTango: Magnetizing Men for Women Over 40
- When sex went bad, it's always the women's fault. "She lies there like a dead fish or a bump on a log." Really? Last time I checked it takes two to have great intimacy. When did great sex become the woman's responsibility alone? Have You & Your Partner Lost That Lovin’ Feeling?
- And let's not forget oral sex. Women are constantly ridiculed for not participating in oral sex while many men don't go there and you never hear a word talked about that.