From Mindy Kaling to Toni Morrison, authors say it best when it comes to matters of the heart.
My favorite love quotes also apply to my friends. "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." This has been attributed to the brilliant Albert Camus, author of the fantastic novel The Stranger. Some sources claim that Camus never wrote or even said this. I still love the quote, no matter its genesis.
The following 21 friendship quotes, though, I can assure you came from books — novels, memoirs and philosophical works. Got another one to share? Leave it in the comments below. After all, you're among friends.
1. "One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about." ― Mindy Kaling, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
2. "If you have but one friend, make sure you choose her well." ― Muriel Barbery, The Elegance of the Hedgehog
3. "Friendship- my definition- is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don't have trust, the friendship will crumble." ― Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
4. "Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend's success." ― Oscar Wilde, The Soul of Man Under Socialism
5. "When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives." ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
6. "Friends are honest with each other. Even if the truth hurts." ― Sarah Dessen, Along for the Ride
7. "No friendship is an accident." ― O. Henry, Heart of the West
8. "Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and to have her nonsense respected." ― Charles Lamb, The Life, Letters and Writings of Charles Lamb
9. "The capacity for friendship is God's way of apologizing for our families." ― Jay McInerney, The Last of the Savages
10. "She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order." ― Toni Morrison, Beloved
11. "Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family." ― Mario Puzo, The Godfather
12. "A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship." ― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
13. "There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends." ― Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
14. "God, how we get our fingers in each other's clay. That's friendship, each playing the potter to see what shapes we can make of each other." ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes
15. "A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face." ― Maya Angelou, Letter to My Daughter
16. "It's all very well to tell us to forgive our enemies; our enemies can never hurt us very much. But oh, what about forgiving our friends?" ― Willa Cather, My Mortal Enemy
17. "What do you most value in your friends? Their continued existence." — Christopher Hitchens, Hitch-22: A Memoir
18. "Without friends, no one would want to live, even if he had all other goods." ― Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics
19. "Friends are born, not made." ― Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams
20. "'You have some queer friends, Dorothy,' she said. 'The queerness doesn't matter, so long as they're friends,' was the answer" ― L. Frank Baum, The Road to Oz
21. "You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose." ― John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson
If you're searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) ... look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious relationship truths, we've got you covered.