Famous phrases about love and relationships from people who don't mince words.
Relationships aren't easy, I think we can all agree. They require work, but the rewards are innumerable. "Nothing in the world worth having unless it means effort, pain and difficulty," is a variant on a Theodore Roosevelt quote that clearly applies to one of the most life-affirming things there is: a healthy relationship. Whether you're a wide-eyed optimist or a die-hard cynic, everyone's got an opinion when it comes to relationships. Here are some of our favorite relationship love quotes. Which one applies to your relationship?
1. "The feelings that we equate with love—feeling sick, feeling insecure, not eating—that's just lust getting in the way. It's your ego saying, 'I want to get laid' and 'I hope she likes me more than I like her.' Love is something that should be there in 20 years' time." —Simon Cowell
2. "Anger repressed can poison a relationship as surely as the cruelest words." —Dr. Joyce Brothers
3. "If a man wants to truly communicate with a woman, he must enter her world of emotions." —Gary Smalley
4. "Men aren't the way they are because they want to drive women crazy, they've been trained to be that way for thousands of years. And that training makes it very difficult for men to be intimate." —Barbara De Angelis, Relationship Counselor
5. "We have a couple of rules in our relationship. The first rule is that I make her feel like she's getting everything. The second rule is that I actually do let her have her way in everything. And, so far, it's working." —Justin Timberlake
6. "What women want: To be loved, to be listened to, to be desired, to be respected, to be needed, to be trusted, and sometimes, just to be held. What men want: Tickets to the World Series." —Dave Barry
7. "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." —Michael Garrett Marino
8. "It's an unexplainable feeling, an expression. It's a touch, it's a feel. Once you feel it, it's like no other thing in the world." —Snoop Dogg
9. "Plain women know more about men than beautiful ones." —Katherine Hepburn
10. "Men want the same thing from their underwear that they want from women: a little bit of support, and a little bit of freedom." —Jerry Seinfeld
11. "Instead of getting hard ourselves and trying to compete, women should try and give their best qualities to men - bring them softness and teach them how to cry." —Joan Baez
12. "The gift of real love is having someone who'll go the distance with you. Someone who, when the wedding day limo breaks down, is willing to share a seat on the bus." —Oprah Winfrey
13. "Everybody needs love. There are a lot of guys that you think are hard-core gangsters, but all these guys' weaknesses are women." —Master P.
14. "One of the things that attracted me to Barack was his emotional honesty. Right off the bat he said what he felt. There are no games with him—he is who he appears to be. I feel fortunate as a woman to have a husband who loves me and shows me in every way. So yes, I do know that. And now he'll know I know." —Michelle Obama
15. "I like to believe that love is a reciprocal thing, that it can't really be felt, truly, by one." —Sean Penn
16. "Everything is clearer when you're in love." —John Lennon
17. "Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable." —Bruce Lee
18. "There’s no bad consequence to loving fully, comma with all your heart. You always gain by giving love." —Reese Witherspoon
If you're searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) ... look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious relationship truths, we've got you covered.