With the 35th anniversary of The King's death, we're remembering his five best love songs.
It's been 35 years since The King left the building for good, when he passed away at age 42 on August 16, 1977. We're now remembering him by his romantic songs that have withstood the test of time.
Trust us, it was hard, but we narrowed it down to five of the best Elvis Presley love songs of all time. Here they are in descending order:
5. "The Wonder of You": Released in 1959 by Ray Peterson, Elvis released his version of this hit in 1970. It quickly became one of his most successful records in the UK, topping the UK Singles charts and staying there for six weeks. Peterson explained the re-recording: "(Elvis) asked me if I would mind if he recorded 'The Wonder of You.' I said, 'You don't have to ask permission; you're Elvis Presley.' He said, 'Yes, I do. You're Ray Peterson.'"
Key Lyrics: "I'll guess I'll never know the reason why/You love me like you do/That's the wonder/The wonder of you ..." Michael Jackson's Greatest Love Songs
4. "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You": The title alone makes us swoon! Recorded in 1956, the song came directly after "Heartbreak Hotel" and right before "Hound Dog." Some would say those were the best days of Elvis.
Key Lyrics: "Darling, you're all that I'm living for/I want you, I need you, I love you/More and more ..."
3. "Love Me Tender": Released in 1956, "Love Me Tender" was adapted from Aura Lee, a ballad about the Civil War. It later went on to be one of the most romantic songs of its time. It also made Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" list.
Key Lyrics: "Love me tender, Love me sweet/Never let me go/You have made my life complete/And I love you so ..."
2. "(Let Me Be Your) Teddybear": Presley's hit song came out in 1957, and became a US number one hit, and stayed at the top for seven weeks. For those not familiar with Elvis' songs (shame on you!), you may recognize this song from Danny Tanner, Uncle Jesse and Joey singing it to Michelle Tanner in Full House.
Key Lyrics: "Baby let me be/Your lovin teddy bear/Put a chain around my neck/And lead me anywhere/Oh let me be/Your teddy bear ..."
1. "Can't Help Falling in Love": Recorded in 1961, this is easily one of the best love songs of all time. The song topped the British charts in 1962, and more recently has been heard in movies like Coyote Ugly and Lilo and Stitch!
Key Lyrics: "Some things are meant to be/Take my hand, take my whole life too/For I can't help falling in love with you ..."
In memory of Presley, The King's Palm Springs estate—known as Graceland—will be holding a candlelight vigil, and there are plenty more event's tonight to celebrate the music legend. Thank you to Elvis, the original heartthrob who made love sound so cool. Thank you very much.
Tell us: what's your favorite Elvis song?
More juicy content from YourTango:
- Why Can't I Find A Relationship?
- 10 Unmistakable Ways To Tell If A Man Is In Love With You
- 5 Ways To STOP Complaining And Appreciate The Life You Have
Photo Credit: Getty