Because you freaking DESERVE it.
No matter how many times you tell your daughter that she’s beautiful, it just doesn’t register. You invest years of your life telling your daughter how amazing she is — that she’s beautiful, inside and out — yet still social media and crazy societal standards drown out your voice, and the confident young girl you once knew has been replaced with self-critical young woman.
The other day, my 16-year-old daughter walked in my room and declared that she was “hideous” — and I was to blame for it. She told me that by choosing her father I ruined her chances at beauty (I can’t make this stuff up).
So, rather than offer another empty assurance, I decided it was time my daughter reclaim her beauty.
Besides asking her to write down three things she admired and liked about herself every day, I decided to arm her with 12 quotes to help her shift “hideous” to “amazingly beautiful” in any moment. Here they are:
1. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
2. “The most beautiful thing you can wear is CONFIDENCE.” — Blake Lively
3. “Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.” — Mark Zusak
4. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just HAPPEN.” — Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
5. “Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.” — Sophia Loren
6. “Happy girls are the prettiest.” — Audrey Hepburn
7. “Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or KICK-ASS red lipstick.” — Gwyneth Paltrow
9. “To all the girls who think you’re fat because your not a size zero, YOU'RE the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly." — Marilyn Monroe
10. “The key to beauty is always to be looking at someone who LOVES you, really.” — Julia Roberts
11. “Don’t ever let a soul tell you that you can’t be EXACTLY who you are.” — Lady Gaga
12. “Beauty is when you can appreciate yourself. When you love yourself, that’s when you’re most beautiful." — Zoe Kravitz
If you're searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) ... look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious relationship truths, we've got you covered.