On the Affaircare Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Affaircare and the Affaircare Twitter at http://twitter.com/Affaircare, we tweet a new Happiness Happens question every day. The best answer each day will receive the daily Happiness Award which you can proudly display anywhere! And remember, happiness is something we CHOOSE, not something that happens to us!
1. Be in the moment. Since happiness in a decision, decide each moment to be happy in that moment and enjoy what that moment has to offer. The past is gone and can not be changed. The future and all it's worries has not happened yet. Be present now and purpose in your heart to be happy in the now.
2. Take a dog for a walk. There are numerous studies that attest to the stress-relieving benefits of pets. They are there when you need a friend; they jump on you at the funniest moments; they lick your face or purr; they bring joy and companionship. Enjoy your pet.
3. Laugh out loud. Watch an old George and Gracie show. Listen to a comediene on Comedy Central. Pull out the old Monty Python shows and watch them again. Laughter is good for the soul.
4. Scent the air. Research finds that the benefits of aromatherapy in relieving stress are real. Citrus scents like Orange or Lemon add an instant burst of joy, and deeper scents like Rose and Sandalwood help relieve stress and bring peace.
5. Go to sleep. Our nation is a nation of overworked, sleep-deprived people, so to increase your happiness, take a daily nap. You are more likely to be happy and healthy when you are rested.
6. Ignore the stock market. As you go through your day, if you are constantly checking the Dow Jones, you are frittering away valuable time and setting yourself up for anxiety. As you go through your daily journey, just let go of that DJIA -- increase your productivity and reduce the stress of worrying about "the crash." After all, money does not equal happiness!
7. Hum along. Music soothes more than the savage beast! Music can affect our mood and express our emotions, so to choose happiness, choose music with an up tempo and a pleasant beat in major chords. Choose music that feeds your soul like Narada or music that has a happy memory associated with it, like Kenny Chesney's song: "I Go Back."
8. Visit a quiet place. Libraries, museums, gardens, and places of worship are all places that can calm, soothe, de-stress and bring back the happiness to your fast-paced, crazy life. Relax with a favorite book, remember how the west was won, stop to smell the roses, or reconnect with your spiritual side.
9. Declutter. It's nearly impossible to meditate, breathe deeply, or simply relax when every surface is covered. Decluttering will allow freedom, movement and new energy to flow through your room. Decluttering is a healing, renewing, energizing activity. Decluttering promotes a sense of achievement and accomplishment!
10. Volunteer. Helping others enables you to put your own problems into perspective. When you sit all day and only think of yourself, it's easy to focus on the negatives, but when you give to a charity and give of your time, you remember that there are those less fortunate than you and you feel a sense of self-satisfaction for helping another.
More Juicy Content From YourTango: