How to set boundaries when the word "no" doesn't come naturally.
Healthy boundaries in your relationships don't just happen. They require discipline and willpower. I know this sounds about as appealing as going on a diet, but without healthy boundaries, you can end up a victim of a man's bad behavior.
Why do you need to make the effort to stick to your personal boundaries? They give you self-respect. They are how you take care of and protect your mind, body and spirit. They give you a say in how you want your relationship to unfold; how much to give of yourself and when. 3 Mistakes You May Make When Looking For Love
Setting healthy boundaries is the most important skill you need to have successful relationships. However, for many women, this can be very challenging. If you are someone who finds it hard to say "no," boundaries will be particularly difficult to stick to. Here's how to set healthy boundaries in dating relationships:
- Reflect. Look back on your past relationships. Identify the things you know you should have done differently. List the mistakes you made that worked against you. I bet the majority, if not all, involved you letting down your boundaries in some way. Take your time with this process. If you're thorough, you'll most likely find a pattern of behavior.
- Make a list. Create a new healthy boundaries list. Use what you've learned from your past mistakes to make the changes you need now. See if there are any new boundaries that you would like to add, including social media and internet dating. 18 Sexy Secrets Of Online Dating
- Prioritize your well-being. This may sound selfish or self-centered ... and it is! You shouldn't rely on anyone making your needs and desires their first priority — that's your job. You will find that in a healthy relationship, each person takes care of their own happiness. When you take care of yourself, those around you tend to do the same.
- Communicate openly. You and your man will have your own ideas of what boundaries make you feel safe and respected. When a problem comes up, it's important you talk about it. Your boundaries are a reflection of your principles and your integrity. Talking about personal boundaries is a great way to foster closeness and intimacy in a relationship.
Healthy boundaries make for healthy relationships. Every relationship involves some compromise, but you should never give up what you hold as important just to be with someone. When you make maintaining healthy boundaries a priority in your relationships, you'll find the wrong men will quickly fall away and right ones rise to the occasion. Advice: Why Do I Always Date Bad Boys?
To Read More Dating Advice:
- What Is Mobile Dating? Should I Try It?
- 30 Bad Relationship Habits You *Desperately* Need To Lose By Age 30
- 4 Tips For Avoiding Dangerous Men
This article was originally published at It's Never Too Late to Marry . Reprinted with permission from the author.