When you are looking for real love online, a well-written profile is key. It is important to find the balance between serious and fun. You want to be clear that you're looking for a real relationship, but you don't want to seem needy or desperate. You want to show your fun and lighthearted side, but you don't want to come across as flaky. These tips will help you strike that balance, as well as help to identify the guys with boyfriend potential:
1. On your online dating profile, use the right vocabulary. Use phrases like "lasting relationship" and "best friend" instead of "marriage" and "husband." Focus on describing the day-to-day relationship you want to create, rather than the title you wish to achieve.
More from YourTango: 4 Ways Being Too Nice Can Ruin Your Relationship
2. Be sure to include in your profile anything that may be a dealbreaker (for him or for you). Just put it out there. If you have children, mention that in your profile. If you want a partner who shares a particular lifestyle, write about its importance to you.
3. Make him laugh! Lighten things up by including a funny, self-deprecating story or by making reference to something funny in pop culture. Instead of saying you "love to laugh," express it in your writing and show it in your pictures!
4. Beware of the guy who includes "short-term dating" as something he's looking for. While he might be open to developing a long-term relationship, it may not be important to him and he may not be willing to do any work towards that goal.
More from YourTango: How To Enjoy Speed Dating: 5 Essential Tips For Women
5. Look out for profiles that seem outdated or lacking effort. If a man wants a relationship and is attempting to find it online, it will be reflected in his profile. He'll post good, clear pictures and he'll have an updated narrative. Keep reading...
More love advice from YourTango: