Is it the real thing? Or do you just have a crush?
It starts at a young age with "puppy love" or a crush on someone and continues into adulthood. Infatuation tends to happen when we're not in tune with reality — we see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear. We read more into what he says and does when his words, behaviors, and actions speak otherwise.
Infatuation causes us to pay more attention to a man's superficial physical characteristics and less attention to his inner, deeper qualities. Almost all women have been or will be infatuated, confusing this with love or a deep like.
Don't let your eyes cloud your vision of love.
Are you infatuated or in love? If you answer "yes" to the following questions, you're prone to infatuation.
- Focus on external qualities (i.e. his looks, how much money he makes, the job he has, the car he drives, the house he lives in, etc.)?
- Become consumed by thoughts of him?
- Center your life around him by making him your priority?
- Believe what he says when your intuition is telling you otherwise?
- Have a superficial connection?
- Not see any flaws in him?
- Sit by the phone, waiting for his call?
- Pay for a lot of his meals and activities?
- Try to spend time where you think he may be, hoping to run into him?
- Let yourself be his option or afterthought?
Infatuation is fleeting and less fulfilling. If your relationship is based on infatuation, you'll compromise who you are, neglect what's important to you, and never feel like a priority in his life.
Open Your Heart To Love
Being disappointed and discouraged when relationships based on infatuation don’t work out is understandable. Realize that there are always good lessons to be learned from these types of relationships.
The overarching lesson is to let your heart choose who to love instead of letting your eyes choose.
Here's how to know if your relationship is based on real love. You bring out the best in each other. You're more happy than not. He treats you with love and respect. Your life is better because he's in it.
There is no doubt — you just know he's the right person for you.
Have you ever been infatuated with someone? If so, how did you realize it and make the switch to love?
Having a hard time finding success in love? Take the Love Indicator Assessment. You'll receive a free 6-page report showing where you're at with love, the reasons you haven't found it yet and what you can do to immediately improve your love life.
This article was originally published at Love for Successful Women. Reprinted with permission from the author.