By Julie Fishman
In the great wide world of dating, the options are numerous. But amid the hodgepodge of hunks, be sure not to overlook the often ignored nerds. While they may not be smooth or strapping, nerds make fantastic boyfriends. Here are just some of the reasons why:
1. They're Compassionate: Dorky dudes spend their early years playing the butt of every joke. Since they know how it feels to be hurt, scared, lonely, embarrassed and sad, they’re typically more receptive to your emotions and understanding of your problems.
2. They're Genuine: Nerds rarely put on a front: They’re usually not guzzling beer to fit in or bed hopping to impress their pals, but rather tend to be open, honest and loyal with the one girl lucky enough to win their favor.
3. They're Tech Savvy: A geeky guy by your side is like having your own personal IT department to help when your computer crashes, phone’s stuck on “mute” or iPod will only play the bagpipe song you downloaded last St. Patty’s Day.
4. They're Interesting: At some point, talking about “The Jersey Shore” or watching “The Hangover” for the fifth time gets old. Nerds love to learn and can tell you about everything from politics to Panama to podcasts. You’ll never be bored and you’ll always be out and about, exploring your hood and taking advantage of all it has to offer.
5. They're Laid Back: No need to glam yourself up or spend cash on fancy dinners, nerds are usually homebodies who’d rather share some pizza on the couch than cough up $200 for bottle service at a stuffy club. You alone are enough to satisfy a geek.
6. They're Successful: Steve Jobs. Bill Gates. Mark Zuckerberg. Need I say more?
7. They're Romantic: The number of video games that involve saving a princess then winning her heart have made a lot of dorks hopeless romantics who want nothing more than a girl of their own to “rescue.” Thoughtful and chivalrous, geeks treat their women well.
8 . They're Good in Bed: While they may not be that experienced, a nerd’s love of learning will ensure that they catch on quick and continue to up their skill repertoire.
While the dude with a closet full of LARP costumes may be too much for you, there are plenty of dorks that don’t go that extreme. Shift your eyes from the bad boy your mother will hate, toward the shy guy with an ironic "Star Wars" graphic-tee and you may be surprised to find a particularly bling diamond in the rough.
For more relationship and dating advice, pick up your copy of The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags, available now wherever books are sold.
This article was originally published at College Crush
. Reprinted with permission from the author.