Speed dating is a curious concept—no question there. Meeting strangers for three-minute increments, trying to decipher chemistry and compatibility before the bell rings, and then starting the get-to-know-you conversation all over again... Strange as speed dating may be, it can be a lot of fun and, judging by its staying power, it's a decent way to meet someone. Before you give speed dating a try, check out some dos and don'ts from YourTango's Experts.
1. Ask how much they make or what kind of car they drive.
2. Stare too much or avoid eye contact completely.
3. Reveal too much too soon.
4. Get drunk.
5. Fake it. Come as you are, quirks and all.
6. Do all the talking. No one wants to hear a monologue.
7. Talk about marriage, past relationships, religion or politics.
8. Fish for compliments.
9. Chew gum during or smoke right before the event.
10. Check in on your phone. You are having a conversation with a human. No devices allowed!
11. Check out the bartender. Or the fella at the next table. Stay focused and in the moment with the person across from you.
12. Dismiss the other person on sight. Stay open to the possibility that they have much more to them than meets the eye (and that can be conveyed in five minutes).
13. Wear grays, blacks and beiges.
14. Wear a ton of perfume or jewelry. It's distracting.
15. Overanalyze a first meeting to death. Just enjoy the moment. Who's Choosier: Men Or Women?
Next: Speed Dating Dos...