"Is it normal that my husband ... ?"
Have you ever wondered whether or not something your partner just said or did is normal and okay? Many of us second-guess ourselves.
More from YourTango: 6 Stress-Reducing Secrets For A Soul-Full Holiday
You feel insulted, rejected or maybe even betrayed, but are conflicted about what to do and whether you're just making a big deal out of nothing. You worry that bringing up the offending words or behavior will heighten tension or start a fight, but the hurt and confusion remain.
The way your partner is acting seems like a huge red flag.
It can be tough to know when to speak up and ask your partner to make a change, and when to just let it go. We all have bad or "off" days once in awhile, and you may just blow off how annoyed or offended you feel. Our advice to you is to stop ignoring your partner's upsetting words and actions. Even if you look around at other people's relationships and see the very same behaviors, this doesn't mean you have to put up with it and suffer in silence.
That said, watch for these ten behaviors from your man:
1. He tells you you're fat. Even if it's disguised as a joke, if your partner criticizes your weight or certain parts of your body, you don't have to grit your teeth and listen. Even if you could stand to lose a few pounds, that is your decision to make — not his.
2. He ignores you. If he consistently tunes you out, refuses to talk or is constantly distracted by the game, his phone or anything else, this could mean your relationship is in the danger zone. No matter how busy your partner is, you shouldn't have to jump up and down trying to get his attention.
3. He says one thing and does another. When your partner nods and says "yes, dear" only to do the complete opposite of what he just agreed to, this is not okay. Watch for observable examples of whether or not his words match his actions.
4. He yells at you when drunk. We all lose our cool occasionally. If your man screams and yells at you when he's drunk and then blames it on the booze, this is no excuse.
More from YourTango: How to Fix a Relationship After Cheating
5. He forbids you from contact with friends or family. Nobody has the right to tell you whom you can talk to or spend time with and this includes your partner. If he has a jealousy problem, stay calm and set boundaries. If he's truly concerned for your well-being, listen and consider his words but know that this is your choice to make. Keep reading ...
More relationship advice from YourTango: