There are some serious advantages to being a mature single. Find out what they are!
Sure, it was easier to find guys or gals to date when you were 20, 30 or 40, and it's gotten much more difficult now that you're in your 50s, 60s or older. Still, in the 34 years since my divorce, I've noticed things that have kept me placing and answering dating ads all these years. There are nine benefits to dating after 50. It's time for you to reap them all:
1. There is greater anticipation for romance. It can last from the first date until the end of the relationship, whether that's one week or three months. And isn't the need to feel special and romanced a universal desire?
2. You will feel more alive and engaged in life. Last night I noticed how animated I was when I shared information with three friends about my first date with one guy and third date with another.
If you're not dating right now and don't feel ready to jump back out there, this would be a good time to note ways that interaction with friends and family heightens your zest for life.
3. You will get to explore new places and interests. Roger was one of the first men I dated after moving from Iowa to Seattle in 1978. I told him that I loved lilacs, so when he invited me to dinner at his place, he gave me some craft store lilacs. I still have them in my bedroom.
I traveled with David, another man, to Vermont during autumn. Whenver we'd see a Halloween display in someone's yard, we'd stop to admire it. We went wine tasting and I still have a wine bottle as a valuable reminder of that trip. Now, seeing leaves turn gives me a dose of cherished wistfulness about that delightful trip.
More dating advice from YourTango:
- Ladies, You Need To Watch Out For These Online Dating Red Flags
- 7 Signs He Wants To Kiss You Right. This. Second.
- 30 Bad Relationship Habits You *Desperately* Need To Lose By Age 30