Whether you have to work, want to work or fall somewhere in-between, a recent study by the American Psychological Association revealed that full-time working mothers are happier and healthier than their non-working counterparts. Perhaps it's time to let go of the working mom's guilt and instead focus on the many benefits working full-time brings to a mother and her family. Here are seven ways full-time work benefits mothers:
1. It allows moms to live out their purpose. For many moms, their purpose doesn't stop with motherhood. Every woman is created for something special. For many women, this something special includes and extends beyond being a mother. Passions, talents and interests often guide a woman's educational career path and choices. If their purpose beyond motherhood is left unfulfilled, mothers may feel unsatisfied and even resentful. Career And Family: Can We Really Have Both?
2. It gives moms financial control. As valued financial contributors, full-time working mothers aren't forced to rely solely on the income of their spouses. Mothers who earn a full-time income feel confident in their right to make financial choices for their family and don't feel guilty about spending someone else's money.
3. It helps moms maintain their identities. Being a mother doesn't exclude moms from being their own unique individual. Too often, once a woman becomes a mother, she completely loses her own personal and individual identity. Working full-time allows mothers to maintain and nurture their sense of self. As children grow up and discover that they are separate beings from their mothers, having an individual identity for mothers becomes even more vital. Mothers who don't have their own identity may have a hard time separating and letting their child grow. New Study: Tough Times for Working Moms
4. It allows moms to build and maintain social connections. Even though being a mother is filled with busy days and a constant companionship, many mothers experience feelings of loneliness and isolation. Being proactive about staying connected to friends can be a challenge at the end of a tiring, long day. Working full-time guarantees mothers the opportunity to build and maintain social connections with adults. For some moms, this is a sanity saver.
5. It gives moms a sense of independence. Working full-time can put a woman in the driver's seat of her life. While she may value and appreciate the contribution her spouse brings to her life, she's confident that she doesn't need his influence or support to exist. Mothers who work full-time have a sense of self-sufficiency and self-reliance.
More what women want advice from YourTango: