You can learn a lot about a man from his last marriage.
Past behavior is like a map into a person's personality; you can learn a lot about a person by looking at his/her past ... especially when it comes to relationships. Sure, people can hide their quirks or act "out of character" for short periods of time. But over the long term, our true personalities take hold.
A new study says that you can tell if someone is a keeper based on whether he is sensitive, cooperative and supportive. Presumably, therefore, when a marriage ends in divorce, we can infer that one or both partners lacked those traits. So, if you're dating a divorced guy, how can you tell whether he was the one lacking those essential traits? Here are three signs he's a keeper:
1. He's a good dad. People who make successful partners are also successful parents, and vice versa. A good, immediate indication that he's a good parent is if he will not allow you to meet his children until he feels the relationship has potential. This shows he is protective and sensitive of his kids.
2. He handled his divorce gracefully. As he talks about his divorce, listen to the words he uses. Was he trying to be collaborative and fair or combative and manipulating? If he was collaborative and fair, it is a good sign he is cooperative.
3. He speaks respectfully about his ex. Also, if he describes the decision to divorce as being mutual, it is a good sign he is supportive.
It is best to experience and observe your divorced man's actions over a long period of time to determine if he is a keeper. You can get a good initial indication of his personality map by watching how he is as a dad, asking how he handled his divorce and listening to how he describes his ex-wife. Knowing the answers to these questions will help you determine if your divorced boyfriend has good personality traits and is a keeper.
More relationship advice from YourTango:
- Hard Work Ahead: Are Relationships Really Worthwhile?
- How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work
- THIS Is The Kiss Of Death For Relationships