Follow these tips to improve your communication in 2013.
How was your communication in 2012? Was it open and loving or frustrating and blaming? Do you think communication is really so hard that you'll never get it right?
1. Don't focus on what is missing in your conversations. When you think things like "He acts like he takes me for granted," you will continue communication habits that lead to reinforcing those same feelings and eventually build resentment and misunderstanding.
2. Do focus on how you want your ideal communication to be. Think instead, "I would like him to give me compliments once in awhile and let me know he appreciates me more often." Then adjust your communication to let him know your desires in an encouraging non-judgmental way.
For example, you can say, "I love it when you say you like the way I look. It makes me feel like a million bucks and even more loved."
3. Don't expect your partner to always be ready to talk when you are. People are different and choosing the best time of day for big discussions may not necessarily always work but always choosing the wrong time is a sure bet for failure. Keep reading ...
More relationship advice for YourTango:
- Hard Work Ahead: Are Relationships Really Worthwhile?
- In A Long-Distance Relationship? Tips To Keep The Love Strong
- THIS Is The Kiss Of Death For Relationships