So many ladies ask me what is up with older men dating younger women. There is actually an evolutionary psychological theory surrounding this common "phenomenon." There have been many studies conducted exploring the reasons behind older men dating younger woman. One of them published in the journal Evolutionary Psychology, looked at 400 romantic ads in the Swedish newspapers Göteborgs-Posten and Aftonbladet and on the websites Spraydate and match.com.
Men in all categories prefer younger partners. Of a total of 97 men who mentioned age in their ads, only three were looking for an older partner — among men aged 40 to 59, only one out of 67.
Women I've interviewed between the ages of 40–70 largely believe men their age are not interested in dating someone their own age. Studies show older men prefer youth and beauty first for mate selection and women choose men who offer resources and stability. It's no surprise there are a number of websites emerging and profiting from these "mutually benefiting" relationships. The "successful older man" seeking "young attractive female" is common place. Let's reveal some of the reasons behind older men dating younger women.
1. He's having a mid-life crisis. Well this is an easy explanation. Men, who feel they've been "tied down" for far too long or what he considers a marriage of obligation, feel as if he's been cheated of his youth and his "fun years." It's as if he seeks a younger woman to replace his older model (wife) and convince himself somehow dating a younger woman will bring back his youthfulness and give him a second chance to have fun again.
A gentleman dating a younger woman is not like having a time machine. This is about the same time he spends his money more freely on extravagant man toys, replaces his wardrobe, invests in hair club for men and maybe hires a personal trainer. Some men date younger woman to prove to themselves they haven't lost his touch. Keep reading ...
More on older men dating younger women from YourTango:
- Why Younger Women Date Older Men
- Should Women Actually Date Younger Men?
- Age Differences: I'm 22, He's 35. Can This Work?
2. He wants to have a child or more kids. I have encountered many men over 40 who admit to wanting to have more children —regardless of the fact he may have already raised a few of his own. Dating a younger woman in this case he believes is a requirement (or excuse) to decrease the odds of any birth defects or health risks to a woman on the border of her child bearing years.
If an older man hasn't had the chance to father a child, he seeks a younger woman for this specific purpose. This seems more like a fostering plan for some but some men want to carry on their legacy with children of their own. Men have biological clocks too if you didn't already know and assume older women cannot safely have children.