Happy Memorial Day weekend! How about a little trivia to start your day?
In 1868, May 30th was designated as a holiday to honor the nation’s Civil War casualties. Now called Memorial Day, it was originally known as Decoration Day. Red poppies are commonly associated with Memorial Day and are worn as a symbol of respect for those who have died in war. Visiting cemeteries and memorials is a common way to observe the day. Many people show their respect by placing flowers and wreaths on the graves of the departed. Each year on this day a national moment of remembrance takes place at 3:00 p.m. local time.
More from YourTango: 3 Mistakes To Stop Making If You Want A Grown-Up Love Story
More from YourTango: 40+ And In A Dating Rut? 3 Simple Steps To Get You Moving Forward
When I was single I had a love/hate relationship with these long weekends. I loved having the extra time off work; I hated that I didn’t have a man to spend the time with.
I thought I would help you out by giving you a bunch of ideas of things to do this weekend. I have all kinds of thoughts about how to make this, or any other weekend, enjoyable–with or without a man.
- Volunteer in your community helping children, saving the planet, rescuing animals, beautifying your city…tons of people need you.
- Have a chick-date with a new friend.
- Go on a cheap weekend getaway.
- Go to a department store makeup section and get a free makeover.
- Buy a new dress and pair of sandals. (Summer is here!)
- Get tickets for a play or other live event. Grab a discount if you can by going to www.Goldstar.com.
- Go to a singles event or just one to meet a new girlfriend. (Google “[your city] singles” or go to Meetup.com.
- Go to a wine-tasting event – they have those all over now.
- Go to the art, science, history…whatever museum.
- Go to a seminar or lecture, maybe to learn more about yourself or men.
- Go to the local library and make goo-goo eyes at all the smart men.
- Call or email the guy who got away.
- Organize and conduct a car wash to raise money for the local schools. (They need it!)
- Plant a garden.
- Get that massage you’ve been talking about. (These days there are ways to get all kinds; many reasonably priced.)
- Have a picnic and read a book at the park. (Preferably one that will give you some new dating skills. Hey! How about my eBook.)
- Learn to paddleboard, bowl, or do some other sport you’ve been talking about.
- Organize a Parcheesi or poker party and have everyone bring one guest – male or female; either is fun.
- Take a bike ride.
- Get online and don’t get off until you connected with 10 men in some way. (wink, email…whatever)
- Go to the local big book store, find a book and read it there. (And make goo-goo eyes at all the smart men.)
- Ask a man to help you carry something, give his advice, fix your car…just see what it’s like to receive.