For a girl who stars in a lot of films with major romances — Divergent, The Spectacular Now, The Fault in Our Stars — Shailene Woodley's love life is on lockdown. We know that the actress, 22, is a naturalist and very granola, eating clay and roots and all that stuff. But deets on her romances are semi-scarce.
She did hint that she may have dated a co-star, but of course, she did not say which. She has also copped to being single for five years. What gives? Why and how is a girl this gorgeous flying solo since her teens?
Well, it's partly due to her work schedule and by choice, you'll soon find out.
Woodley told Teen Vogue in April, "I haven't had time to think about a relationship! I literally have not had a boyfriend in almost five years. I've never even hooked up with anybody I've worked on a movie with." She did qualify the statement, saying that she may have hooked up with someone when they were done working together. "Well, that might have happened on something," she hinted.
Honestly, a girl has needs, so it appears that the only people she spends time with are co-stars, since she is working so freakin' much. So it would make sense if something top secret took place after the director yelled, "Cut!"
Woodley also explained that she hasn't met anyone who might be "the one" or even someone worth getting into a long-term commitment with, saying, "I just haven't met anyone where I was like, 'Wow, I could definitely see myself spending a season of my life with you.' I don't even know if humans are genetically made to be with one person forever." Ah, so she's not a super firm believer in the institution of marriage, either. Still, that shouldn't prevent her from experiencing love or a deeper relationship.
Long hair or short, Woodley is a stunner. Full disclosure: We crushed on her the first time we saw her hold her own with the inimitable George Clooney in The Descendants; he was robbed of an Oscar for his work in that role, BTW.
But back to Woodley. We're pretty baffled that her love life details are anything but concrete. The fact that she shuns social media certainly helps her retain a modicum of privacy from the prying media.
Here is what we do know about her love life and who she may have but probably hasn't dated.
1. She was first romantically linked to Daren Kagasoff, her co-star on The Secret Life of the American Teenager, the TV role that put her on the map. Their onscreen chemistry was rumored to have spilled over into real life.
2. She is not dating Theo James, her breathtakingly hot Divergent co-star. He has a girlfriend and Woodley shot down the rumors. Those two had thermonuclear onscreen chemistry, but alas, it did not carry over into reality.
3. She might have dated actor, DJ and repeat co-star Ansel Elgort. They played brother and sister in Divergent and now they play star-crossed lovers in Fault. She joked that she always wondered what it would be like to kiss her brother and also said that she and Elgort were comfortable with each other in their new tearjerker, due to their work on Divergent. "There's something really beautiful about working with someone and working with them again and again and again, because the more you get to know somebody on a personal level, the more free you feel artistically. I think that if Ansel and I hadn't known each other from Divergent, our relationship in this movie would not be what it is, because we didn't have to go through the rehearsal phase of getting to know one another, becoming comfortable with one another," she said. Hmm, they know each other better on a personal level, huh? How personal? It's anyone's guess.
4. She denied anything but friendship with Shiloh Fernandez, her co-star in White Bird in a Blizzard. They were supposedly seen smooching at Sundance in 2013, but Woodley would only cop to being pals, laughing off rumors, rumors, rumors. She said, "Oh, no, God! Shiloh's my buddy. You take a picture with somebody and all of a sudden you're dating. That's so funny."
5. She also co-starred with Miles Teller in The Spectacular Now. Perhaps there was a hookup there, when production wrapped? Who knows! S. Woodley knows how to keep us guessing.