Welcome to 30 Days Of Love, our one-month initiative to bring you closer to the love you deserve just in time for Valentine's Day. Today, we're shining the spotlight on compliments—and their role in a fulfilling relationship.
How far can flattery get you? Pretty far, research suggests. In fact, according to one study, praise helps people to believe in themselves and motivates them to succeed. Studies conducted in the workplace conclude that six expressions of praise for each criticism significantly increase productivity. So why can't this same logic apply to love relationships? The answer is, it can—and should.
So get the positive energy flowing in your relationship with these 30 flattering phrases your partner really wants to hear:
Compliiments For Men
1. You make me feel beautiful. This compliment is effective because you're telling your partner how you feel—and that it's a direct result of something he's doing.
2. I really admire the way you handled that. Genuinely complimenting a man's judgment, abilities and integrity is a major ego-booster.
3. This meal you cooked is delicious! People want to feel that their efforts are appreciated, so even if it's the third meal he's cooked this week, don't take it for granted.
4. My friends/family love spending time with you. Acceptance within a relationship is crucial, and that extends to your inner circle too. He'll appreciate that the people who love you recognize him as someone you value.
5. You're hilarious! Sure, he may get it from the way you laugh hysterically at what he does, but it doesn't hurt to tell him how much he makes you giggle too. All guys know that humor is one of the keys to charming a woman, and he'll be tickled to know he's got that in the bag.
6. I always feel safe with you. Men are wired to protect their partners, so reaffirm this by reminding him that it's working.
7. You're so sexy/good-looking. Guys don't receive compliments about their looks and sex appeal as often as women do, and just like women, they can be insecure about their looks. So when he gets a compliment like this from you—the person he wants to be craved by most—it'll be that much more meaningful.
8. I need your advice. This subtle yet powerful compliment appeals to your partner's desire to be needed by you—without you being needy, of course.
9. That girl was totally checking you out. He'll love the fact that he's being checked out and he'll be turned on that you're confident enough to point it out without being jealous.
10. I love it when you [fill in the blank]. This not only reinforces behaviors you truly enjoy, but it cofirms to him that what he's doing is pleasing you—and that means in or out of the bedroom.
11. Can you open this jar? Sure, you may do Crossfit, and he may think that's hot. But once in a while, it's a turn-on for a guy to know his manliness comes in handy.
12. You're an amazing dad/brother/friend: Let your partner know that you recognize the other relationships in his life in addition to his relationship with you, and that you've observed how special he is to those people too. He trusts your judgment and will be genuinely flattered to hear it.
13. You're fearless! Again, genuine compliments that appeal to his manhood will make him beam with pride.
14. I really respect you. When you tell a guy that you have respect for him, you're appealing to him right where he lives. A man thrives on knowing he has your respect and that he's a top priority in your life.
15. Wow—you really have been working out. He's making the effort to look hot, so show him you notice. It'll make him feel great and motivate him to keep it up! Keep reading...
More great stuff on YourTango: