Dressing up is so much more fun when you have a partner. Check out these thirteen costume ideas for couples inspired by films, TV shows and good old ghostly ingenuity.
1. Tonto and the Lone Ranger: keep it simple. A suit, star, mask and hat for the Lone Ranger, and breeches, a long wig and face paint for Tonto. Easy!
2. Batman and Robin: you can make your own costumes with some bodysuits and belts (though if you can get your hands on some of those fantastic rubber suits from Batman Forever, totally go for it).
3. Firemen (and we mean legit uniforms): The only thing you need to pick up here is the helmet. The rest you can fake with a blue T, red suspenders and black or yellow pants. Of course, if things get hot, you can always lose the shirt…
4. Top Gun’s Maverick and Goose: all you need here are some green jumpsuits, a few badges, those iconic sunglasses and a supercool attitude.
5. 300’s Leonidas and Stelios: this one couldn’t be any easier. Just get your hands on some boy shorts (leather, preferably), a cape and something sharp.
6. Thor and Loki: this one might take a little work. As long as you have the cape, hammer and some kind of armor, Thor is good to go. Loki will definitely require a wig and a creative leather coat.
7. Cowboy and Rodeo Clown: Rodeo Clown isn’t too far off from Hobo. Just add colorful makeup! As for the cowboy, go classic with jeans, chaps, a vest and a ten gallon hat. You just have to flip a coin to see who hides in the barrel.
8. Ninja Turtles: Pick your two favorites and get creative with green bodysuits, and patterned fabric over backpacks for the shells. Don’t forget the masks! Grab another couple to complete the quartet. Cowabunga, dude!
9. Bert and Ernie: could this be any easier? Just get some striped sweaters and face paint, and voila, you’re Sesame Street’s number one duo! Don’t forget the rubber ducky, of course.
10. Cop and Convict: Go with an orange jumpsuit (it is the new black, after all), and a nightstick and handcuffs for your other half. The fun part is what you get to do with the handcuffs later.
11. Mario and Luigi: you could knock these costumes out with one trip to the thrift store. Get matching blue overalls, two t-shirts and matching caps. Easy peasy!
12. Day of the Dead revelers: you can wear just about anything you want. The key factor here is the impressive face paint. You can compete to see who comes up with the more creative design.
13. Wolverine and Cyclops: Leather pants and jackets will do for both characters. Wolverine needs his signature hair and blades. For Cyclops, dig up a pair of tinted sunglasses. Or go old school and trick or treat in full latex bodysuits. Gather up other couples to make the full team!
More juicy content from YourTango: