Welcome to YourTango Experts 7-day intensive event, Love Your Body: Day 1! Today is all about boosting your body image in 15 simple steps. Let's get started!
Let's face it: we could all use a little body image boost from time to time. In a world full of magazine covers telling us our abs should be flat and our booties should be round, how are we supposed to accept ourselves the way we are? Good news: our experts are here to help. Below are 15 easy ways you can learn to love your body starting right here, right now.
1. Stop comparing yourself to others. Everyone has something they wish they could change about their body. Wishing you had someone else's thighs or curly hair or smile takes away from what is uniquely you. Accentuating the qualities you like will boost your spirits and minimize the things you don't like. —Linda DiBella
2. Focus on what you have the power to change. Rather than spending your energy on wishing you were taller, redirect your focus on something you can change, like toning up with a yoga or pilates class, or honing one of your talents. Then celebrate with a nice pair of heels! —Linda DiBella
3. Dress as if you're where you want to be. Are you waiting to lose weight before you buy that new wardrobe? If you're wearing the same uninspiring clothes that make you feel drab, pick up a few smart wardrobe pieces, like a chic blazer, fashionable footwear, or some nice scarves or jewelry that will brighten your image and make you feel better about you now. The better you feel, the more likely you'll be motivated to keep making positive changes. —Linda DiBella
4. Surround yourself with beauty. Creating a beautiful environment at home or in your workspace will provide a greater sensual experience, which is what we all crave. Keep fresh flowers on your desk or table, add some silk pillows to your sofa, play your favorite music while cooking dinner, and drink mineral water out of a nice wine glass! —Linda DiBella
5. Practice self-care. The more you love and take care of what you have now, the more likely you'll move in the direction of self-improvement. Schedule you-time to take a warm, soothing bath, massage your skin with olive oil, read an inspiring book, or write in your journal. —Linda DiBella
6. Build a support system. Spend time with people who have a positive influence on you and that energize you rather than reinforce bad habits. Exercise together, swap healthy recipes, and champion one another when you're making progress. —Linda DiBella
More love advice from YourTango: