There are many different ways to kiss your lover, and all of them can communicate something different about what or how you're feeling. Here's a field guide to the major types of kisses, and what you're saying with each of them.
1. Peck. Sounds innocent, doesn't it? But this quick lip-on-lip contact still sends a message. The primary one? "I want to kiss you and—hopefully, sometime soon—make out, but it's early and we're not there yet, so this peck on the lips is a suggestion that there is to be much more smooching in our future."
More from YourTango: What Is 'Honey Sex' And Why Is It Bad For You?
2. Pehhhck. A lingering, closed-mouth kiss on the lips. Very sensual, yet still somewhat chaste and restrained. This is how grown-ups say, "We are so about to make out big-time." This extended peck is usually followed by a knowing smirk and, sometimes, an audible "mmmm." How To Kiss Well
3. Woodpecker. Rapid-fire pecks. Playful and cute, these say, "I really like you, a lot, but I don't want to get myself all randy right now." These convey a lot of affection without allowing things to get too hot and heavy. It's also a good option when it comes to PDAs. No one wants to watch you swallow each other's faces while they're having their morning coffee. Pop Reference Point: Adam Sandler woodpecker-ing Veronica Vaughn in Billy Madison.
4. French. The French kiss is the king of kisses, and involves open mouths and some form of tongue interaction. It's too complex and nuanced for one description, so we've broken it down even further. 5 Reasons Kissing Is Good For You
a) Standard. Moving your open lips against each other with some tongue interplay can be very sweet, very hot, very passionate, or all of the above. This kiss really gets the hormones racing and says, "I would like to sleep with you."
b) Tongue Tango. Ideally an elegant ballet of tongue play, the Tongue Tango occurs when the tips of the tongues push off of each other and twist around. This kiss says "I think outside the box in and out of bed" This kiss, however, is a close relative of the dreaded Lizard Kiss, where tongues dart in a stabbing, lizard-like motion. What's the lizard's saying? "I am a creep." So be careful.
c) He's Eating My Mouth. This kiss leaves the kissee with what we call a saliva beard. Basically, the kisser opens his or her mouth as wide as possible, rolls their tongue all around and down their partner's throat and then, inexplicably, slides it all over their poor partner's face. Pop Culture Reference Point: An episode Sex and The City, wherein Charlotte was forced to deal with a date literally licking her face. This kiss says, "I want you to think I'm really sexual and passionate but, in reality, I am totally oblivious to your vibe and will probably stink in bed. Big time." How To Fix A Bad Kisser
5. Love Bite. Getting in a little nip of the lip or neck means "I'm playful," and might also reveal that you're not totally opposed to a little bit of pain with your pleasure. Try not to draw blood, though. How To Date A (Real-Life) Vampire
More from YourTango: 10 Signs Your Guy Is Definitely In Love With You
More Juicy Content From YourTango: