Cook together this holiday season! Five recipes you can make as a team.
The holidays: the ultimate recipe for good times or high stress with your loved ones, depending on how you play it. One way to make the season a little more jolly is to work together, especially on the party preparations that can drive a single individual mad. By joining forces, you take the pressure off one person and, if you work at it, even build a little camaraderie in the process.
One of the best places to work together is in the kitchen. Holiday meal preparations can be grueling, but if both of you put on an apron, that means half the work—and twice the chance to coat each other in whipped cream.
YourTango asked chef Rebekah Peppler to design some recipes for couples to cook together. To make these dishes, one of you be Partner 1, the other Partner 2, and follow the simple instructions below for an enjoyable, less-taxing and more-collaborative holiday season. We promise you: the Cornish hens won't be the only things heating up. – Jack Murnighan
Hazelnut Butter Cookies
Makes 25-30 one-inch cookies.
½ cup hazelnuts
½ cup granulated sugar, separated
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp Frangelico
Powdered sugar for finishing
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Toast hazelnuts till lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven, cool slightly then wrap still warm nuts in dishtowel and roll until most of the brown skins are removed. Lower oven to 300° F. Cool nuts completely before moving on to next step.
2. Grind nuts with 1/3 of granulated sugar in the food processor until the consistency of coarse cornmeal and set aside for your partner.
Meanwhile, Partner 2:
1. Cream butter and 2/3 of sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract
3. Mix in ground nuts, flour and salt just to combine.
1. Divide dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
2. Bake 15-18 at 300° F.
Partner 1: Lightly brush warm cookies;
Partner 2: Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar.
Photo: Rebekah Peppler
Next: Cherry-Orange-Walnut Rugelach
More Juicy Content From YourTango: