The "happiest place on earth" isn't Disney World, it's a family where mom and dad are intentional about nurturing their marriage, including their sexual intimacy. Yet, many couples plan the family vacation without making room for sex. Yes, I realize you are cramming people into a hotel room, a tent, a camper or Aunt Edna's spare bedroom. On vacation, privacy becomes limited at best and non-existent at worst. However, completely losing sight of healthy sexual intimacy is only going to add to the stress. Sure, it's important to remember the swimsuits and sunscreen, but don't forget the sex. Here are 5 tips for making sex a part of your family summer vacation:
1. Have sex the night before you leave. If you know that sex is going to be difficult during vacation, at least begin your vacation with a little sexual satisfaction. Pre-vacation sex will add some mutual tenderness to the car trip or plane ride that you probably will begin at 6 a.m. the next morning.
More from YourTango: Was Jesus Really Married? Christian Experts Sound In
2. If at all possible, book adjoining hotel rooms instead of one hotel room, especially if you have children who are grade-school age and older. At the end of the day, put on a movie for the kids in one room and go in the other room with the door locked. Don't hesitate to say to your children, "Mom and dad want to talk for a little while alone. Knock on the door if there is an emergency." Nervous about leaving the kids alone all night? Well, you don't have to. After you have sex, switch around. Move the younger children into one room with a parent, while the other parent stays in the other room with the older kids.
3. If you have very young children, have sex after they are asleep. This is possible in one hotel room. Yeah, quiet sex wouldn't be my first choice, but quiet sex is better than no sex. If you have babies or toddlers sleeping in a nearby bed or crib, trust me, you can make it work. Even if you don't have intercourse, you can still find your way to satisfaction.
4. Shower together. Lots of fun can be had in a shower or on a bathroom floor or counter for that matter. Use your imagination.
5. If you are cramped in a tent, camper or other tight quarters and sex really isn't a possibility, at least make the effort to express sexual interest. Hold hands, occasionally passionately kiss, sneak away on a walk, or share a look that says, "I want you, even if I can't have you right now." Expression of desire is better than blatant indifference.
More from YourTango: One Person Doesn't Really "Complete You" Or Your Marriage
Only you know what will work in your unique circumstances. I encourage you to be intentional, plan ahead and get creative with your sexual intimacy.
Family vacations aren't just about building memories, they are about building a strong foundation for your family. That familial foundation finds its greatest strength in a solid marriage. Spouses honor each other and their children (and I personally believe it honors God) most by treating their marriage as sacred. Sexual intimacy and expression of sexual interest is powerful, not just at home but on vacation too.