Eighty percent of YourTango Experts agree that couples who attend premarital education/counseling are less likely to get divorce. Here are some of the reasons why:
1. You'll gain foresight. Let's face it, when we're in love, we don't think about all the things we might face when we get married. It's much better to look at them before you get married than wait until the misunderstandings begin. —Dr. Jed Diamond
More from YourTango: Alarming New Facts About The 'Does Size Matter' Debate
2. You'll benefit from wisdom. One of the advantages of arranged marriages was that someone older and wiser than the couple in love could think about who would really make good partners 5, 10, 20 or 40 years later. You don't need to have your love life arranged for you, but you should take advantage of having the input of those who are knowledgeable about what you'll really face. —Dr. Jed Diamond
3. No marriage is immune. I'm a marriage counselor who has been helping people for more than 40 years. The fact that I know a lot didn't keep me from going through a divorce. If people like me need support and advice, everyone would benefit from premarital counseling. —Dr. Jed Diamond
4. It beats the alternative. Premarital counseling is better than post-marital misunderstandings and divorce. —Dr. Jed Diamond
5. Solve interfaith issues. Clarifying expectations for the marriage is a good beginning. Define the vision you each have and include your faith and your plan to worship together. Identify where the visions align and where they diverge. Examine ways to make the two visions merge into one. —Celeste Benskey
More from YourTango: What To Do When He Says 'I'm Not In Love With You'
6. Get to know your in-laws. Remember, you're not only marrying your fiance(e), you're marrying his/her whole family. The healthy child in each of you allows you to fall in love. The wounded child in each of you is going to present challenges in the marriage. Past issues often come into play when you are parenting together. —Celeste Benskey
Want to learn more? Check out Divorce Survival Guide!
More divorce advice from YourTango Experts: