As a strong advocate of positive sexual expression, I support numerous teachers, healers and their workshops. Sexual energy is a powerful force, and sacred sexual workshops are potent avenues for healing and transformation. And they may also engender wounding.
I encourage you to be pro-active - become informed, and create your own personal safety around any workshop experience. Please consider the following suggestions before you decide if a workshop or specific teacher is appropriate for you:
• Conduct an interview. Speak directly to the facilitator to get a sense of their overall philosophy regarding sacred sexuality, and also their teaching mode. Ask a few direct questions to determine if they are in alignment with your own belief system. Don’t hesitate to inquire about their training and experience.
• If you have experienced sexual abuse, trauma, or addiction, consult with a mental health professional as to whether participation in a workshop is appropriate for you at this time. Many professionals offer free consultations.
• What is the workshop pre-registration screening process? Questions regarding the presence of the above conditions should be included in the process.
• Be aware that meditative and sexual energy exercises that you may experience in a workshop often induce alpha states (deep relaxation, brain fog) along with strong sexual anticipation. Neither is conducive to clear thinking regarding sexual engagement and safer sex responsibility.
More Juicy Content From YourTango:
- I Dated My Teacher
- Relationship Advice For Women: What Your Mom Never Told You
- The Best Sex Advice On YourTango