For many people ANY conversation that has to do with feelings and/or conflict can be a difficult conversation. Opening up and being vulnerable with anyone can be hard, but opening up the way you need to in a relationship can be even more challenging. Here are some tips for handling a tough conversation with your partner:
1. Get clear on what you want to say. It is imperative that before you start a difficult conversation with your spouse, mate or date that you yourself are clear about what it is you want to communicate. One of the biggest pitfalls in communication is not sending a clear message, and your message will be clearer if you have thought through what you would like to say in advance. The Key To Fighting Fair In A Relationship
2. Pick the right time. In real estate the key is location, location, location. In communication it's timing, timing, timing. Be wise about when you bring up a difficult topic. First thing in the morning, last thing at night and just as your partner walks in the door after a long day at work are NOT good times to start a dialogue.
3. Mind your manners. Conversations generally end in the same tone in which they begin. If you begin a talk angry and yelling, chances are you will leave the conversation screaming and upset. Go into it with the intention and expectation of getting through the issue, and be mindful of your manner and tone.
4. Stay positive. Expressing positive feelings during a difficult conversation helps both of you feel better during and after the talk. Infuse your conversation with caring, affection and appreciation. Remember that the goal of communication is to be listened to and understood.
—Samara Fabrick, Counselor/Therapist
5. Stay cool. Successful communication is primarily based on reason, not emotion. When one or both partners is extremely upset, reason goes out the window. Never bring up difficult conversations when something has just triggered heated emotions. Instead, wait until you and your partner are both cool and calm before bringing up a touchy topic.
More Juicy Content From YourTango: