Do you feel like the last item on your partner’s “to do” list? Have you tried everything you can think of to get your partner’s attention – sexy lingerie, lavishing attention, perhaps even yelling - only to fail? It may be that he doesn’t even realize he’s not paying attention – perhaps it’s undiagnosed ADHD. Here are some quick facts about adult ADHD: fully 90% of adults who have ADHD are undiagnosed; the top adult symptom of ADHD is distractibility; ADHD can wreak havoc in relationships…but doesn’t have to. Learning more is key to taming relationship challenges you may be facing.
What are the signs your partner might have ADHD?
- He focused on you like crazy when you were dating but now rarely seems to pay attention
- She repeatedly promises to do something for you but then forgets
- He is easily distracted most of the time, but then can focus like crazy on something of interest such as a computer game
- He is often up much later than you and may have sleep problems
- She is chronically disorganized and/or messy
- He has a terrible sense of time and often late
- No matter how hard you try or how often you ask his/her behavior doesn’t seem to change for very long
- You have a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD (it’s highly heritable)
And you may be feeling any or all of these:
- Frustrated when you think about your partner and how he/she responds (or doesn’t respond) to you
- Lonely and confused – and wondering “why is my partner not paying more attention to me?”
- Angry – that no matter how hard you work to make things better your partner doesn’t seem to be joining in
- Always responsible – your partner never seems to follow through on helping you out as promised
- Out of control – you often feel as if it’s a real struggle to keep your surprisingly chaotic life from blowing apart
- Sad – this isn’t what you imagined your relationship would look like
- Unsexy – all this going on in your relationship is starting to affect your sex life Keep Reading...
More health advice from YourTango