Contrary to outdated notions, online dating is not just for losers. In fact, millions of hopeful singles log on everyday looking for Mr. and Mrs. Right. Even your future soulmate could be as close as the click of your mouse! You just need the right online dating advice. After all, for every fairytale ending, there are stories of disappointments, bad dates and scams.
Unfortunately, it's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security when you engage in regular contact with someone whose photos you've seen, whose bio you've read and whose voice you may have even heard over the phone. But, as we all know, there are predators are out there, so you have to be careful.
More from YourTango: Would You Choose Your Heels Over A Man?
With that in mind, here are 10 tips for staying safe, having fun and potentially connecting with your perfect match online:
1. Vet him before meeting him. You must be diligent from the get-go. The other day, I was with a girlfriend, and she showed me the latest text conversation between her and a man that she met online. He lived in another city and wanted her to travel to meet him. His end of the conversation turned sexual. I advised her to cut communication immediately. This man was not soulmate material.
2. Be careful about the image that you project in your profile. If you are serious about finding your future husband, posting provocative photos in skimpy attire is not the message that conveys that. Keep it classy. Also, be honest about your age and weight. One of the biggest complaints from dating site users is the dishonesty about those two things. When you meet in person, you will not be able to hide it, and won't that be embarrassing?
3. Take your own transportation. You do not want to be stuck in a guy's car if he is creepy or makes you feel uncomfortable. Being able to leave when you're ready is important.
4. Meet your date in a public place … such as a coffee shop or an outdoor mall. Avoid secluded places like parks, or isolating activities like hiking.
More from YourTango: Facebook Envy: When Your Negative Feelings Go Too Far
5. Don't worry about hurting his feelings; your safety is paramount. Trust your gut. Women often tell themselves that they are being silly when they feel that something is off, or they are afraid of hurting someone's feelings. Your intuition will tell you if you should cut the date short and move on, listen to it. Keep reading ...
More dating advice from YourTango: