As the old saying goes, "breaking up is hard to do" ... especially if you're on the receiving end of a breakup. If you're the one ending the relationship, compassion is key. With that in mind, here are five ways you should never choose to end a relationship:
1. A hired hand. Some people ask a friend to do their dirty work for them, but having a friend tell your signiicant other that it's over is incredibly cowardly. Do it yourself and deal with the backlash that comes with it like an adult.
2. The breakup text. Texting your significant other "I love you" is adorable. Texting him/her to say "I don't want to see you anymore" is cruel. A text message breakup breeds regret. If you are inclined to text someone to end a relationship, take a deep breath and call him/her instead.
3. The sticky note. Who could forget that episode of Sex and the City when Carrie's boyfriend Berger breaks up with her on a Post-It Note. He wrote, "I'm sorry ... I can't ... Don't hate me." Can you imagine anything worse? Instead, tell the person yourself; don't let a little piece of paper do it for you!
4. Facebook. An affectionate message by your beau is something you would love to see on your Facebook wall, but breaking up with you on your Facebook wall is something you may never get over. Plus, if anyone hits "like" for that post they're really asking for it.
5. Disappearing act. Avoiding a conversation and instead just pulling a disappearing act might be the worst way to end a relationship. Breaking things off that way is simply unacceptable. Face your fears and break up with some compassion.
More breakup advice from YourTango: