New research explains the importance of fathers talking to their daughters about sex.
A new study shows when dads talk with their children about sex, those children have less sex during adolescence. While it's traditional in many families for the mother to talk to her daughters and for the father to talk to his sons, here are at least four reasons why it is important for fathers to also talk to their daughters about sex:
1. Research shows when fathers give their daughters the talk, their little girls have less sex when they're older. The first reason is the most obvious. If fathers talk to their daughters about sex, according to the research, they will have less sex during their adolescent years. This also means there will be less STDs and teen pregnancies. This can only be a positive thing as we think about our teen's sexual health and their lack of necessary maturity to make decisions about adoption, abortion and raising a family.
2. Women and men have a different understanding of sex. Have you ever noticed that boys and girls think about and treat sex differently? Generally speaking, girls tend to equate sex with love, while boys are better equipped to separate the act of sex from their emotions. Since women are not like this, it is difficult for mothers to understand it and even more difficult for them to explain it to their daughters.
Daughters may also have a difficult time believing their mothers when moms are talking about what sex is like for boys. Girls will trust this information better coming from their fathers. When girls hear about these differences from their fathers, they will be better prepared and know what things to look for in their potential dates.
3. A close father-daughter relationship makes a huge difference. When girls are close with their fathers and they are able to talk about practically anything including sex, those girls are not experiencing a void in their lives from an absentee father. Dads can live in the same home with their daughters but if they never have any quality time together, then it can feel as if they don't even have a dad. When girls do not have close relationships with a father figure, they tend to seek a boyfriend to fill that void, often getting into physically intimate relationships before they are emotionally ready to cope with the implications of those relationships.
More sex advice from YourTango:
- Sex Video: Can A Couple Be Happy Without Sex?
- Advice: My Girlfriend Is Afraid Of Sex
- How Do You Keep Sex Fresh?