I was at a conference, talking to a woman about what I do. She told me about a very smart woman who teaches finance — very accomplished, many awards, and lots of respect from her peers. But she said that this very smart women turns stupid when it comes to dating men.
Why do we do that?
It's because most of what we know comes to us from outside influences, like fairy tales, love-at-first-site-happily-ever-after-with-no-problems-EVER movies and novels, lame advice from friends, and inane articles in most women's magazines. And there's no tools to know how to do it any different.
So here are 7 ways to avoid getting hurt:
- Don't take it personally ... any of it.
- Don't get physical too soon. It muddles the brain.
- Don't lose yourself, stay centered, and breathe deeply.
- Don't try to guess an answer to "What did he mean when he did/said that?"
- Enjoy each date, then go about your life as normal.
- If he calls, fine. If not, go about your life and refer to #1.
- Don't get emotionally attached until he does.
It's easier said than done, but if you look at this list on a regular basis, maybe you'll keep your wits about you, and enjoy dating a whole lot more.