Bummed about the shorter days and darker evenings ahead? Don't be! Daylight Savings Time is a wonderful opportunity to "fall back" in love by showering some extra sexy, snuggly attention on your partner.
Here are 10 ways to use shorter days as a way to create big time love:
- Create a grand romance: Shorter nights are the perfect time to forego outside activities and reconnect with your partner at home. Cuddle around a fire or on the couch under a blanket. Pick up a new piece of sexy lingerie and wear it to rekindle a spark.
- Light up the night: The great thing about darker evenings is that you can transform the mood from gloomy to romantic just by lighting candles. Better yet, make dinner by candlelight your new normal and spend the evening chatting about the highlights of your day.
- Go back in time: Pretend you and your partner are back in the days before electronic entertainment. Hide your devices and pull out the Monopoly board instead. Feeling amorous? Build a blanket fort for snuggle in. Some light-hearted time playing with your partner without the distraction of flashing screens is a soothing, soul-nourishing way to build intimacy and connection.
- Cook together: When the nights are dark and the air is cool, it's the perfect time to heat things up—in the kitchen! Spend a Sunday evening making double batches of your favorite recipes and freeze them for hectic weeknights. It's more fun when the two of you work together. Savor the satisfaction of a sharing fun common goal and a sense of accomplishment. And don't forget dessert. The scents of cinnamon and vanilla are turn-ons for men!
- Early to bed: What if you (finally) listened to your body and instead of forcing it to stay up, take advantage of your body's natural rhythms to get some extra shut-eye. Snuggle in together and drift off to dreamland. Soozing next to someone you love increases endorphins. And hey, if that snuggling time turns into some cozy sexual connection ... all the better.
- Early to rise: Or, take advantage of your restful night's sleep to do a little pre-dawn lovemaking. In the morning, you'll both have more energy. It also allows you to begin the day with physical and emotional connection.
- Embrace side-by-side companionship: There is something so comforting about hunkering down together. Curl up next to him with that book you've been dying to read while he tinkers around or catches up on the latest Sports Illustrated. Pursuing individual hobbies while being in the same physical space strengthens the bonds of trust and reminds you that a healthier "we" can be harnessed by focusing on your own interests. Besides, men thrive on this type of quality time, and it builds a deeper sense of appreciation for your partnership.
- Play outside: Don't let the cold deter you from playing outside! Research shows that couples that work out together have way more (and way better) sex. So, get out in that cold, crisp, invigorating weather for an evening run or walk in the park. Even a short jaunt in the great outdoors will lift your spirits.
- Entertain yourselves: This is the perfect time to catch up on all of those shows you've wanted to watch. Curious about Mad Men or Downtown Abbey? Host a Friday night season marathon starting with episode one. Or maybe catch up on those movies you missed in the theaters. The early darkness and cold outside are also great excuses to to stay in, cuddle under a blanket, and enjoy some screen time together.
- Embrace gratitude: The season of Thanksgiving is near, so why not get an early start on expressing your gratitude? Purchase a journal to share and commit to each writing two things every day that you're grateful for. Or, you can email each other every day at lunch what you're most grateful for that day. We live in such lavish abundance and distraction. It's so easy to speed through the days without noticing how lucky we are (in life and in love). A shared gratitude practice will help you both see how good you really have it.
There are so many ways to make use of that extra hour per day. Have fun cultivating rituals, new routines, and activities that connect you to your partner and remind you why you fell in love.
More juicy content from YourTango:
- 31 Funny Love Quotes From Comedians Who Totally Get You
- I Love You: 15 Ways Guys Say It Without Saying It
- 50 Love Quotes We Adore