Are you longing to meet someone with common interests? Do you enjoy traveling? Are you looking to advance your career? Now you can bundle all three by attending one of the top conferences held around the country. Conferences are the hottest trend not only for career and personal development, but also for meeting singles!
Are you surprised? So was I when I read this article in The New York Times. As a dating coach for women over 40, I think this is one of the hottest ideas I've heard in a while to meet quality singles. These events attract people with entrepreneurial spirit who are into the cutting edge of what's going on in the world and who are concerned about improving situations. What are some other reasons why conferences are a great place to meet singles?
More from YourTango: Millionaire Matchmaker Dating Advice: No Sex Until Monogamy?
1. You can travel solo without feeling uncomfortable. Many conferences have plenty of non-conference activities specifically designed to help you meet and mingle with other attendees. Not to mention, popular host cities like Austin, Aspen, San Francisco and New York City make wonderful travel destinations.
2. You can mingle with people of means. It takes some coin to attend these events, so you know you'll be meeting people of means who can afford to be there.
3. Everyone shares at least one of your interests. Conferences gather people from around the country to learn about a particular topic. At these events, you have something in common with hundreds or even thousands of people.
4. Conferences encourage making connections. Many top conferences offer more activities than just speakers and workshops. They schedule fun options too like walking tours, cocktail parties, dinners and group jogs to help you connect with participants for a complete experience. In particular, SXSW is actually promoting singles events with their conference, leveraging the current trend to focus on singles.
5. People tend to be friendlier when traveling. Defenses are down and it's easy to break the ice with so much going on so making new friends — even if just for a day — is simpler.
More from YourTango: The Best Dating Advice to Find Love After 50
The New York Times article quoted Rachel Shechtman — founder of Story, a Manhattan boutique — who says these conferences are "like the Club Med of the intellectual." That sounds like fun to me! Conferences are becoming known for the famous couples they have drawn together and romantic opportunities. For instance, did you know that Chelsea Clinton met her husband Marc Mezvinsky at the Renaissance Weekend years ago? Keep reading ...
More dating advice from YourTango: