Your profile picture is just like a first impression — so make it count!
Choosing the perfect photos to post to your online dating profile can be daunting. As a dating coach, I'm here to report that it's not just you: many of my clients drag their feet about getting great photos taken, if they don't already have photos they love.
A picture is worth a thousand words, they say. But when it comes to your online dating profile, it's worth a lot more. The right photo can catch the eye of the right guy, and that's the whole point of online dating. You don't need to have photos taken specifically for your profile, but hey, it's not a bad idea.
I'm going to share my hottest tips for getting great pictures whether you are working with a professional photographer or a friend. Plus, I'll reveal my tip on how to relax in front of the camera so you can smile and get it done!
1. Get outdoors. A natural, outdoor setting will add oomph to your photo. And now's the time to take advantage of the greenery and blooming flowers of spring.
2. Pick out two or three dating outfits. Choose outfits that you feel great in. Invest some time choosing the right styles. If you feel fabulous in the outfits you select, you will automatically look better in the photo. That's because 80 percent of your beauty is how you feel about yourself. So, pick something that makes you look incredibly confident!
3. Avoid deal-breaker clothes. Steer clear of busy patterns, which can add pounds and detract from your figure. I recommend you also avoid baggy clothes, as they don't highlight your shape in a photo. Men want to see what you're 'working with' — and most aren't looking for model-thin women, so no need to be self-conscious if you have feminine curves.
4. Stand up or be active. Whatever pose you decide to strike, please do not sit down! You always look your best and thinnest when standing in a full-body shot. If you plan to crop the photo, of course, then sitting is fine. Also, consider posting some shots of you in action — kayaking, biking, playing tennis, etc.
5. Ban sunglasses. It's been said the eyes are the window to the soul, which is why you shouldn't hide behind your shades. People want to look into your eyes to see who you really are.
6. Wear makeup and fix your hair. Most men (like most women, by the way) make a snap decision based on the photo. Make an effort to look the best you can behind the lens. Keep reading...
More online dating advice from YourTango:
- Online Dating: What You're Doing Wrong
- Online Dating? 6 Reasons To Make The First Move
- Online Dating? 4 Steps To Crafting A Great Email